cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why are people not opening new campgrounds/RV parks?

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a number of years RV sales have been red hot. But, at least within 400 miles of where I live I haven't seen a new campground or RV park open in probably 30 years. It seems to me like it could be a very good and secure investment. If they didn't sell another RV for a decade there would still be far more of them out there than full hookups to put them in.
35 REPLIES 35

dedmiston
Thanks for the insights, Soren.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

soren
Explorer
Explorer
At the start of the great recession, a subcontractor of mine decided to end his multi-year search for a small, existing campground to purchase. He had 1.4 million to invest, and wanted to be in the eastern third of the US. Over a couple of years, he spent over $10k in plane tickets and accountant reviews of the books of several potential purchases.

His overall take on the situation was that most existing campgrounds he looked at were built 30-50 years ago and were built on land that was either free (the family farm) or dirt cheap. They were built before zoning and intense code enforcement, and extremely expensive utility and infrastructure requirements. He hit two deal breakers in most cases. First, the land that was almost free, back in the day, was now correctly priced by the seller at it's current market rate, which was priced based on it's highest and best use. This was often a figure that a developer would eventually pay, then level the CG and build a housing development or condo project. This often meant that there was no chance of generating enough profit to justify the purchase, much less guarantee a reasonable ROI and a fair paycheck for the new owner's efforts. The other issue was that a lot of older to elderly CG owners were spending their season working long hours and really not making anything at all. They were in the farmer mentality of, "next year will be better" and "this is what I've always done, so I keep doing it, even if it doesn't make sense on paper". Their kids didn't want to take the place over, and bust their butts for less than minimum wage, and nobody was willing to buy the place since their books looked horrible.

The DW and I hold a small stake in a private CG in Florida. It is about 70 sites, fifty years old, and really a nice property. It is extremely well run, and fully booked in the peak season. The profitability of the enterprise will always be in question, as the operation is oddly co-mingled with a larger resort that we have a matching interest in. Bottom line is, the place charges market rates, and the occupancy rate is as high as possible given the climate and location. On paper the management can show a modest profit, while discounting the benefits of being attached to the larger operation, and using their utilities and amenities. Being very familiar with the cost of the daily operations, I seriously doubt that it would be attractive to any serious investor, if it was listed for sale.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be happy with a campground that is "tall camper" friendly (ie no low hanging trees or power lines) but spaces far apart. No hookups needed for us, but electric is nice. Here in CO it's nearly impossible to get a spot for a weekend in the summer unless you book it 6 months in advance, or test your luck and leave on a Thursday morning to get a boondocking spot. We lucked out to get 1 spot at a resort in the mountains in July. Resort has all the amenities, but the spot we got is pretty private. No hookups, no nearby neighbors, great view (based on photos, we'll see!). $35/night. We'll gladly pay it to have somewhere to go that doesn't require us to take the entire day off on Friday to get there. So if more parks could open like that, we'd be happy campers. But I realize we're probably in the minority.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
trailertraveler wrote:
We love the Brunswick, Saint Marys, Kingsland area. In recent years getting into a park has been increasingly difficult. Would you be so kind as to provide the names of the new parks or links to their websites?

The first is Coastal GA RV Resort in Brunswick. It opened less than 10 years ago and the addition was just recently completed. The other is Cathead Creek RV Park in Darien.

-Michael
Thanks!!!!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
We love the Brunswick, Saint Marys, Kingsland area. In recent years getting into a park has been increasingly difficult. Would you be so kind as to provide the names of the new parks or links to their websites?

The first is Coastal GA RV Resort in Brunswick. It opened less than 10 years ago and the addition was just recently completed. The other is Cathead Creek RV Park in Darien.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
My dad wanted to do it. Paid for a franchise book and everything. Found a nice piece of land next town over. That town wanted $1,000,000 to create a sewage treatment plant for the park. Killed the whole thing. A private campground on the other fork just sold for $5,000,000. NY isnt business friendly and has the highest tax burden in the nation.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
Cost of land, environmental regulations, permits, water and sewer lines, electric service, road grading, landscaping, more permits, more regulations.
Probably more permits and regulations I haven't thought of. Plus on top of all that you are paying taxes before you even open the park.

THIS!

Sounds like the northeast...

I'm aware of 4 parks that have opened in the last 10 yrs in our area, 2 we have stayed at. I tip my hat to the owners for getting it done.

Mike

actually, it sounds like the West Coast.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer
Explorer
It's real simple... The cost of "dirt" in places where you would want to stay.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
There have been several new campgrounds within 20 minutes of me. One of them, just a few miles away, recently expanded.

-Michael

As we have travelled across the country, we have encountered a few new parks. The first I remember was Carolina Crossroads in North Carolina. More recently we have stayed at Star of Texas in Stratford, Tx. Western Star in Liberal, Ks is a relatively new park as is the Angel Fire RV Resort in Angel Fire, NM. Last fall we discovered the Springerville RV Park in Springerville, AZ.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
There have been several new campgrounds within 20 minutes of me. One of them, just a few miles away, recently expanded.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We are seeing several new 'RV' parks opened each year across north and central Texas - but these are full-time resident parks.

Mostly for working people who have moved to a 5er for full-time living instead of an apartment or mobile home. Not traveling.

Seeing almost no new locations for the traveling RVer.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
Cost of land, environmental regulations, permits, water and sewer lines, electric service, road grading, landscaping, more permits, more regulations.
Probably more permits and regulations I haven't thought of. Plus on top of all that you are paying taxes before you even open the park.

THIS!

Sounds like the northeast...

I'm aware of 4 parks that have opened in the last 10 yrs in our area, 2 we have stayed at. I tip my hat to the owners for getting it done.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have two newer ones near us. The primary focus for them was for construction workers at a nuclear plant. That project shut down and they are trying to become vacation oriented. When I drive by them them they seem to be busy, so they have succeeded. One is only a couple miles from an interstate so that helps attract over nighters.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:

THIS!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes