cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

N. Ga to Bar Harbor

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for info on some routes to use from Hiawassee, Ga to Bar Harbor,Maine...must avoid NYC...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
6 REPLIES 6

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I would go up to Hayesville NC and take US-64 east to Franklin NC. Then US-23 north to US-74 east and I-40. However you could take US-76 east to Clayton GA and US-23 there, longer but flatter. At I-40 I would go east to Asheville and I-26 north to I-81. However 40 west to I-81 is again longer but flatter.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
haste maker wrote:
Looking for info on some routes to use from Hiawassee, Ga to Bar Harbor,Maine...must avoid NYC...

Personally I'd go 75 to Chattanooga to 81 past Harrissburg,Pa to 78 to 287 to 87 to Newburgh,Ny...then 84 to 90 in Mass to 495 to 95 at the Mass/NH border to Maine
Best route for traffic and tolls there is into the NE
Plus many campgrounds and truck stops along the Way....C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure where you are in Ga so I'll let you figure out how to get to I-77 at Columbia SC. I-77 to I-81 to Scranton. Take I-380S a few mi to I-84 to Mass turnpike (495)to I-95. Might be toll in NH. I-95 to Bangor and pick up US Rt 1 to Bar Harbor. I did this trip from I-77 on up a couple of years ago. You miss all of the North East Drama. Have a safe trip

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been back and forth to ME from FL several times. First time 95 all the way.
NEVER AGAIN.
81 to โ€œtop of the 80sโ€ however you wNt to Lake George area. Then take one of the East west state roads like 2 or 3 to the East. Avoid NYC, Boston, Hartford etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much depends on time availability & if you want to see anything along the way.

It is kinda hard to avoid the highways with the letter I in front of them entirely however with some careful map studying & route tweaking there are always interesting routes to take from one place to another.

Avoiding NYC is a trick all by itself. How far up the Hudson are you prepared to go to make the crossing is the challenge.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I-81 to either I-84 or I-88 as preferred to I-90 to I-495 around Boston to I-95 is what I'd do. To get to I-81, it looks lik US64 to either I-75 or I-26 would be reasonable, and offhand I can't see much to prefer one over the other.

If time is plentiful and you don't mind hilly, curvy, slow going--but beautiful and peaceful--roads, the Blue Ridge Parkway (and perhaps continuing on Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park) may be an option. Do plan ahead regarding tunnel clearances as needed.