Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: In bed diesel tanks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> In bed diesel tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Don't forget to account for it when considering payload. a 50gal metal tank is going to eat up around 500lb of payload when full.

The OP has a 2020 dually with lots of payload.
Many choose to go with a DRW vs. a questionable or borderline SRW set up to eliminate any payload concerns.
Some are OK with cutting it close or trying to precisely match payload. Many have decided to step it up to have more than ample payload so they can add cargo or go to a larger trailer without payload concerns.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a DeeZee 110 gallon tank/tool box combo. Have ove 1500 mile range and love it!

https://www.deezee.com/product/combo-transfer-tank-brite-tread/

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an RDS 45 gallon tank. Fits against the cab and only take up 10” of bed space, doesn’t extend much above the sides of the bed either. Mine is gravity flow into my main tank. I’m a little paranoid about running out of gas and I get nervous when my needle goes below half on the gauge. True panic sets in at 1/4 tank. The extra capacity helps to ease my mind.

I enjoy stopping at rest areas and travel centers more than truck stops, so I also have more options there. Most of the time I buy fuel while out and about and don’t have to when the trailer is attached.

My next truck will also have a larger than factory tank, maybe in bed, maybe a titan.

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had one with the tank and tool box. Gravity fed, It was nice, but I had to have CPR a couple of times due to the sticker shock from filling up.

Mike

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many gallons is the stock tank?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I have a 35 gallon tank in the bed of my Dodge dually and simply love it. Best money I've ever spent on something that wasn't motorcycle related.

I love that I don't have to check out the fuel stations ahead of time to make sure I can get in, and, more importantly out, with that 40' toyhauler in tow. I can carry enough fuel to only have to fill up at the end of the day when the 5th wheel is not hooked up. Lowers the daily stress level considerably, especially if you're traveling the two lane highways with fewer big ol' truck stops.

I like taking breaks at rest stops, or parks rather than using the fuel stop as break time.

I like being on my schedule rather than the trucks fuel tank's schedule.

Okay, the cons...uh...well...hmm...it does cost more when I fill both tanks.

^^^ x 2 (or 3). Had an in-bed tank on my F350, then got another 350 after the first one was stolen.

I got the tanks from American Tank (??) in Frisco Texas. Got a 60 gallon tank the first time; 2nd go-around was a 40-is gallon with toolbox top. FWIW, the toolbox top was great, but it couldn't hold my tools and "stuff" (lube, air chuck, etc), so I had to carry another container of tools-n-stuff anyway.

I did the plumb-it-into-the-system route; ended up with a in-dash switch that changed the feed and the gauge read between the factory tank and the aux tank. I really liked the setup and really liked having a 1000+ mile range between fillups...allowing fillup after dropping the 39' FW in the evening.

They do take bed space but I was towing a FW anyway, so the bed was mostly shot for any significant hauling. I had the shop do the install for me...that was another $125 or so back in the day.

...and of course, if one fills both the factory tank and the aux tank at the same time, your bankcard will whimper a bit. [emoticon]

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

60 gallon RDS tank. This is my second one (different trucks).

First one was gravity fed. For the second one, I opted to use a 12V pump connected to one of my upfitter switches to feed the diesel through a fuel/water filter/separator first on the way to the tank. As a bonus, I can do it all from the cab.

I can't remember the last time I filled up with the RV, or paid exorbitant truck stop prices. I get to shop around and get fuel when and where I want.

2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB, 2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW, 2020 JLUR
Primarily off-grid living w/ 2925W solar and 22.8kWh LiFePO4, 30K 240V multi-split,
a custom bladder/pump/monitor setup so we can use water as we wish, and more

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

How many gallons is the stock tank?

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have 50gal Transferflow with attached pump/nozzle. It worked ok, but I much prefer the 100gal on board now.

Soon after 9/11 I couldn't drive over the Hoover dam with it.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Don't forget to account for it when considering payload. a 50gal metal tank is going to eat up around 500lb of payload when full.

The OP has a 2020 dually with lots of payload.
Many choose to go with a DRW vs. a questionable or borderline SRW set up to eliminate any payload concerns.
Some are OK with cutting it close or trying to precisely match payload. Many have decided to step it up to have more than ample payload so they can add cargo or go to a larger trailer without payload concerns.
On top of that, I am going to put helium in the tires.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> In bed diesel tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.