Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: In bed diesel tanks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> In bed diesel tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Lantley wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Don't forget to account for it when considering payload. a 50gal metal tank is going to eat up around 500lb of payload when full.

The OP has a 2020 dually with lots of payload.
Many choose to go with a DRW vs. a questionable or borderline SRW set up to eliminate any payload concerns.
Some are OK with cutting it close or trying to precisely match payload. Many have decided to step it up to have more than ample payload so they can add cargo or go to a larger trailer without payload concerns.

And many choose a truck with ample fuel capacity from a factory tank.

Touche`Fish.
I have to agree. The 36 gallons GM gives you is kind of the bare minimum required. I would prefer the larger 45 gallon? tanks Ford provides.
Why can't GM get a small thing like lager fuel capacity right!
If I had 45 gallons to start with I may not have an Aux. tank.
My prior PSD excursion had a 45 gallon tank and life was good.
GM wants to be commercial minded but they are stuck in Joe Consumer mode. They need to think more outside the box or shall I say outside of the tank when it comes to fuel capacity.

The Super Duty provides a factory 48 gallon tank and if you want more and keep your bed space you can purchase a 60 gallon replacement tank from S&B and replace it yourself.

With the improved fuel economy a 48 gallon tank would be the ticket for me.

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way too many negatives, I have an 80 gallon in bed with a GPI pump. Fuel is 75 miles one way unless I want to pay 50-75 cents over other stations. I did get a TSD card for their discounts. Well worth it, beat to death on multi forums. I fuel the bed tank and truck from the tank, always fresh fuel. The tank and truck give me a conservative 1000 mile range, I fuel when I want not when I have to. The tools box? Enough tools & trouble shooting equipment to fix most roadside issues. Sprays, oil, DEF, fuses, wire, compressor, tow straps, jumper cables, battery charger, 20V impact driver, stuff fr fixen. The pump in the photo died and was replaced with the GPI transfer pump. There is a B&W Companion hitch in the bed with the tank & tool box, it's an 8FT bed.
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a TransferFlo 50 gal in bed. I've had this tank for 17 years and it's more than paid for itself. When I changed it from the 02 to the 07 I had to buy a new brain to get the auto transfer to work.
I have a brother who was delivering RVs for awhile. With his truck I used an electric pump with a switch in the cab and a small flashing multi colored LED light that was on when the pump was on. He couldn't forget to turn the pump off. Plus I wired it so that it was switched power. I also installed a fuel gauge in the cab for him

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enduroplas makes tanks that we use in construction that fit in the back of the pickup and are made of plastic, easy to move and come in a multitude of sizes and configurations. Might be an option for some, they come with an electric pump. They also make them for DEF but I doubt many on here would need that unless you have a fleet of off road equipment.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put in a 60 gallon RDS aux tank when I bought my truck back in 2011. I have around 95 gallons of overall capacity, and I agree with what many others have said about it being one of the best upgrades I have done.

Mine is gravity fed. I can open the valve when the OEM tank is full, and the fuel gauge won't drop until I've run all 60 (actually seems to hold closer to 56) gallons are gone and the OEM tank level starts to drop.

If you look at the dimensions of the tanks, there doesn't seem to be much difference in physical size between the smaller tanks and the 60, so I wouldn't go any smaller.

The only quirk I have had is that twice in the time that I have owned the truck, the valve got gummed up and stuck closed and wouldn't allow the tank to drain. It only took about 15 minutes to get under the truck, take it apart, clean, and reinstall, but it could have been bad had I run the OEM tank all the way down and planned to continue driving through the desert running on the aux tank.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel weighs a lot. It is highly flammable and can combust on impact.

My Ford comes with a 35 gallon tank and gets better mileage than most tow vehicles. I rarely ever feel short on fuel even traveling in the outback of Nevada which is some of the loneliest country in the Lower 48.

Mbiviano

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

The only quirk I have had is that twice in the time that I have owned the truck, the valve got gummed up and stuck closed and wouldn't allow the tank to drain. It only took about 15 minutes to get under the truck, take it apart, clean, and reinstall, but it could have been bad had I run the OEM tank all the way down and planned to continue driving through the desert running on the aux tank.

Also happened to me once few years ago. I always leave my valve open now and no issues since.

Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only used this twice. Ya gots to stop and eat/pee. NOT worth loosing bed space!!! If I did anything I would go with a 55 gallon TITAN replacement tank.

Don't want to loose any space, love my bed height HighwayProducts 30" deep tool box.

A few cents a gallon here and there, I am past trying to save every penny.

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL, and there it is. OP already says that an extra 9 gallons makes no difference, but let's post a photo of a 5 gallon jug anyway..........

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Ha, right?
He’s posted a pic of that stupid gas can more times than I can count on both hands. Seems every time there’s a slip tank thread.....which is one of the top 20 redundant threads on this forum I think.

12V. Honestly I’m surprised you actually claim that pic is yours considering it’s a cheap, unsafe, hard to pour, Chinese fuel jug!
I’d really expect that you’d be rockin a nice USA made steel Eagle can or a VP race jug or something that is closer to your otherwise discerning standards.
Rofl.

But says something about someone who’d rather stop at a truck stop every couple hours to take a leak than stop in more pleasant places.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> In bed diesel tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.