cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Today was my first time......

specta
Explorer
Explorer

That I've ever lowered my jacks while camping.
The spot I wanted was just too uneven. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
16 REPLIES 16

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Never have put my jacks down but I do carry two bags of leveling blocks and a good shovel.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
Also, one thing to note if you have "crappyjacks" they may not come back up! (under power)

Hence why having a deep well socket ground out to fit the jack and a drill is a must have tool to keep in the camper.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
One thing to keep in mind about lowering the jacks, There have been people distracted and forgetting to raise them when leaving. Not a pretty sight.

I had the senior moment although I am still young ๐Ÿ˜‰
But I never floor it starting, so moving gently I felt some resistance right away and nothing happen. Than the rear jacks were extended for stabilization only, so they did not had much weight on them.
For my Sprinter conversion I am using floor stands who can be easy left behind. So the box that carry jacks on the road, lands on my steering wheel when jacks are in use. Hard to overlook that.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
One thing to keep in mind about lowering the jacks, There have been people distracted and forgetting to raise them when leaving. Not a pretty sight.

Also, one thing to note if you have "crappyjacks" they may not come back up! (under power)

- Mark0.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
mellow wrote:
I drop the rear jacks anytime I stop to camp, it helps quite a bit to eliminate the rocking from the everyone walking around. Takes what, two minutes to drop them, worth it in my book.

Yep, plus with the Happijac quick releases it takes only seconds. Ours are always down.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I drop the rear jacks anytime I stop to camp, it helps quite a bit to eliminate the rocking from the everyone walking around. Takes what, two minutes to drop them, worth it in my book.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My 120lb DW will rock our 7 tons rig when going to the bathroom, so my rear jacks are always going down.
I hesitated to lift the camper the way picture shows as its rear weight sits on truck edge in point that was not design for lot of weight.
Usually I choose to put front on higher point and then rear jacks are all I need.
One time I observe neighbors in lighter camper on SRW truck. They did not have jacks while using rear bumper step. The man was leaving the camper in very energetic way, so I observe whole rig jumping up& down couple of inches.
The woman had to hold all cups on the table.
Not my idea of comfort.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged111 wrote:
I drop jacks every time. Too much wiggling around if I don't. Guess I'm a wimp?

No, you're not a wimp.

Everybody likes things a little different than the next guy.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Time to add a few more wood blocks to the truck.

That's the plan, more blocks. ๐Ÿ™‚

What little wiggle there is doesn't bother me at all.
So far I've gotten away with only a couple blocks but I obviously need to bring more.

We need a like button.

I appreciate the comments.
Kenny

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Nice location!

That looks more than level enough spot for me to level up with the little bit I carry. I can put two wheels up to 18" off the ground. I've never lowered the jacks, not even when I was going to be some place for four or five days.

As far as wiggle, I enjoy it in my TC because we never lowered the jacks as a kid so the wiggle is relaxing to me. Now when I had a FW, that I had to have rock solid.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I dropped the jacks when I first got the TC. Haven't done it in years now. I have the heavier 3400 pound rated Load range E tires, Rancho 9Ks, Big Sway-bars, Heavier rated 5 leaf rear springs. and Firestone air bags. I feel solid as a rock moving around in the TC when camped. Wind? What wind!

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I drop jacks every time. Too much wiggling around if I don't. Guess I'm a wimp?
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Time to add a few more wood blocks to the truck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member