Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Generic questions about 5-ers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Generic questions about 5-ers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

in short, what's the easiest way to say that this truck can pull this FW?
Post the specs on the trailer or give a link to the manufacturer's website with model number.

There is a near continuous discussion on "what can I tow" or "will my truck tow this" or "what truck do I need to pull this" discussion in tow vehicles forum.

Trailer pin is listed dry and will increase. Truck payload capacity is reduced by options, passengers and cargo. It is a bit of fuzzy math until you put it on a scale and by then you own it. Welcome to the fun [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Going out on a limb that most modem FW have brakes right? (that could be a bold assumption)
They do, although they can be difficult to keep in good working order.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would prefer the MH rather that a trailer, mainly because I have no use for a big gas heavy truck. We have a mid-range 2005 Gulfstream, previously had an entry-level Hurricane, We would have no problems going anywhere in the US that we want to. So, far, we have 40 of the lower 48 on our map, and might add a few yet. We have a 2011 HHR as a toad, and sure, I have had to unhitch it a few times, but that is not a problem, as it is less than a minute to do that. And, if the route seems iffy, I send the wife ahead in the toad to check things out. That has save us several times.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach-man wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

For your tipping over question, we do most of our camping in Windy Wyoming. Never once have we felt like we were going to tip over with our current 5er, or our former larger toyhauler. Our travel trailer was a different story...

Sounds like it may be the answer, 350/2500 SRW, which will be about the same size as 250/2500 but give you added capability! The easy answer is a 350/3500, but again what are you going to do with the truck when it is not pulling the 5 Er? Both at the campground and when it is sitting at home? Parking a dually, in tight in city parking spots can be tough. But pay attention to your weights, everything counts. Most, weights listed are dry weights, no fuel, no cargo, no passengers etc. so they can be deceiving, you need to look at how things are packed for real world expectations.

Well within the same brand there is NO SIZE difference between a 250/2500 and a 350/3500’SRW. The DRW is a bit wider at the hips, and turns a bit wider.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Sounds like it, with a MH, you need to weigh loaded for travel and subtract from the GCWR to ensure there is enough for the toad. With a FW it sounds like I need to make sure the truck can handle the load of the PIN, plus what's in the truck, plus the tow weight of the FW loaded for travel. Going out on a limb that most modem FW have brakes right? (that could be a bold assumption)

We have a supplemental braking system on the CRV when we tow it behind the MH.

Yes you need enough payload with the truck to carry 20-25% of the loaded trailer weight. Plus the people and cargo loaded in the truck. A SRW F-350 is the same size as a F-250, but has a greater load carrying capacity. Cost should be very similar as they a 95% the same truck.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A consideration not mentioned. There will be some stair climbing in a fifth wheel as opposed to a flat floor in a motor home. This is a deal killer for some.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

There will be some stair climbing in a fifth wheel as opposed to a flat floor in a motor home. This is a deal killer for some.
Was a deal maker for me. I like that.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a 5'er is more physically demanding than a Class A.
With a Class you can pull in. Press a few buttons and your done.
With a fiver you have to climb up to hitch and unhitch. In and out of the truck to hitch and unhitch. Unload the truck. Possibly park the truck etc.
Hitching the toad is also easier because you can do it at the CG office or in a convenient place vs. hitching at your site only.
The trade off is convenience which you pay for vs. price and space

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The F250 would pull most medium size 5W's I pulled a 33ft & 35ft with an F250 diesel. My current 5W is 35ft and about 14K loaded, I have gone to an F350SRW for the added carrying capacity. I RV mostly out west with lots of mountains and get 11 mpg. Look for a used truck, if Ford stay 2011 or newer for the 6.7 diesel, the 6.4 had issues and do not get a 6.0 way too many common problems. Yes there are good older but there were issues. The exception being the old 7.3 but it old technology. The 6.7 will have an exhaust brake, you want one, it works, and more pulling power.

There is a fuel program, TSD, that give big discounts on fuel in truck stops. If you have an issue there fueling it's time to stop driving. (info all over the web)

Backing is an issue for many who don't do it regular but the large majority of RV parks have drive through. I solved the backing issue by taking a CDL class at a community collage. (ended up buying a class 8 and quit after 750K miles, I learned to back) Backing is repetitive, practice, practice, practice any large parking area evenings. Setup cone,s park in lined spaces, straight line back, just get comfortable maneuvering, you will learn where your 5W pivots.

Like has been mentioned setting up is exactly the same as a class A, level and hookup utilities. Auto level, I would not have ordered but now that I have had it I'll never manual level again, push a button and stand back.

Your wife's worry is unfounded, winds get bad park. When depends on your driving skills, getting uncomfortable, it'd time. Roads too bad, narrow find another way, get a Truckers Atlas any truck stop, roads are marked OK for big trucks you should be good in your RV.

5W layout is very important and I learned as I went. My current meets all our needs. Can I get to the fridge with slides in? Bathroom, bedroom? Is the couch directly across from the TV? If yes I can hit a rest area or wide sot and fix a sandwich, use the bathroom or take a nap waiting for winds to die.

I don't have all the answers but PM if you have questions, I'm on almost daily.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

A
what's set up like?
They are more work than a MH, for sure. The part I don't like is leveling, but newer coaches come with levelers.

How hard is it to break camp and travel?
I wouldn't say it's hard, just more time consuming.

But the big bonus is you don't need a toad to go sightseeing or to the grocery store ! I'll take that any day !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Generic questions about 5-ers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.