Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Generic questions about 5-ers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Generic questions about 5-ers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Your wife's worry is unfounded, winds get bad park.

Or at least slow down to the minimum speed limit. So what if it takes a couple hours longer !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

If I get something like an F250 diesel, what would mileage be?

IMHO, stick with the new 7.3L gas with the 10 speed transmission. It will have plenty of power and you will save a ton on your purchase. The little bit of fuel economy you would get would require 30K-50K miles per year to pay back.

Diesel are no where near as efficient fuel economy wise as they were 10-15 years ago. Add in the additional cost of diesel fuel, the cost of DEF and very expensive oil changes.

If you buy a 5er that would require an F350 dually, well that is another story.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

My in-laws were going to buy a fifth wheel and after a trip my family made to Yellowstone, here is the advice I gave them. My mother in-law is very upiddy, and likes first class service. I told them that I could not see her bouncing down the road in the front seat of a dually, setting up camp, or waiting while the truck and trailer are level, unhooked, slides out, etc for her to do her thing. I think for them, a Diesel pusher made the most sense. Drive down the road in comfort, use the bath, kitchen, whatever while moving. Pull in to a spot, level the MH, slides out, plug in and you are ready. Not to mention onboard generator for boon-docking, etc. For them a car trailer made sense since they have the choice of an SUV or sports car to take with them depending on the destination.

You don't per chance sell diesel pushers on the side?

Why would they bounce down the road in a diesel dually? The new trucks while not early 70's cadillac smooth are really quite plush and comfortable. Even more so when hooked up and towing.

You have to set up camp with either unit and it's really not much different. Both have to be leveled, unhooked and slides out. (you know you can get that on modern 5th wheels, right?) PS: they also can come with onboard generators in the modern world.

If she is that uppity, why would she be making something in the kitchen...sorry that was just a joke, it's a very minor benefit of course but if you are full timing, you don't need to hammer out 12-14hr travel days, so why not stop every couple hours anyway or limit driving days to 2-4hr of travel.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

so Pin weight should be a spec on the fiver right and what spec does that correlate to on the truck? (Tongue, carrying capacity?)

I see specs for hitch weight, is that pin weight?

And then I have all kinds of questions about non -static load. So a pin weight of x is increased by things like braking right? How is that factored?

in short, what's the easiest way to say that this truck can pull this FW?

Hitch weight and pin weight are interchangeable on 5ers. It's the force pushing down on the hitch when stationary.

They will often list an unloaded pin weight but no one travels unloaded. When you load up, the pin weight will increase. Specifically items placed ahead of the wheels will add to the pin weight and items behind will reduce the pin weight. Ideally, you want the pin weight to be around 20-25% of the trailer weight. This is why 5ers don't need weight distributing hitches and sway control like bumper pull trailers. (semis for example typically run around 50% pin weight but that's not practical for a pickup. Best to assume a percentage of the GVWR as a starting point.

Don't worry about dynamic vs static load. Yes, dynamic loading will be higher than static but the engineers already took that into account when setting the load limits.

To determine if a truck can handle (pull has an incorrect connotation), you need to look at a few criteria.
- Tow Rating: This is rarely the limiting factor. Also there is typically a separate 5th wheel tow rating form the manufacturer.
- Payload: This includes the pin weight and anything else in the truck including passengers.
- RAWR: As the pin weight sits directly over the rear axle, all the pin weight winds up on the rear axle. Keep in mind, other gear in the truck bed is largely going on the rear axle also.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

A consideration not mentioned. There will be some stair climbing in a fifth wheel as opposed to a flat floor in a motor home. This is a deal killer for some.

The distance from the ground to the floor is about the same for a 5th wheel and motor home.

But there is the climb from the floor to the front of the 5th wheel that the motor home does not have.

There are 5th wheels with a additional bathroom at main floor level. This will reduce the trip to the upper floor once a day to go to bed.

2 bath 5th Wheel

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. DW talked at length and decided a FW is the direction we will go. Mainly due to cost and I need a new truck anyway. Just doesn't make sense right now to have a $120k MH that could potentially sit idle for weeks at a time and have to buy a truck simultaneously. I really like MH's and frankly having everything at your disposal while driving is a major plus, but it doesn't eclipse the financial aspect and usability on a daily basis. So in this case a FW is the more practical solution - if practical can ever be applied to RV's [emoticon]

So the search will start for a truck and FW. We have time, looking to finalize things by fall or winter. Our trip starts next June and I know I will need several months to work out bugs and set things in order.

I am sure I will have a TON of questions during our shopping, but one that comes to mind right now - I had thought we needed a diesel truck, but someone mentioned the newer gas trucks will work as well. If this is the case I can save a lot of money - not only on the truck but maintenance as well. Thoughts?

2020 F350 STX
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

All very helpful answers so far. I should mention that with a Class A we always tow a car. The difference to me is that my tow bars allow the toad to track exactly the same as the MH. If I understand the fiver tracks like any trailer - at a different radius in turns. So it seems more caution, thus my question about filling stations etc. I'm pretty adept at maneuvering my MH with a car, I am intimidated with a fiver but the point about the ability to back up is a valid one.

The other major concern is what others stated. In any MH we had there was always the luxury of passengers using the bathroom, making food, heck my son would lay in bed and watch TV, my wife took a shower going down the road on more than one occasion. All the comforts of a rolling apartment (with necessary precautions - not looking for a flaming). Setting up in the rain is super easy in a MH, pull in, level, slides out, and plug in when the rain stops.

The main reasons for looking at a fiver is living space and budget. While a Class A is about the same price as a truck and a fiver combo (in my budget anyway) it seems financially more responsible to buy a fiver and a truck that has much more usability in every day life than a derivable RV. That truck can be used every day and be far more valuable in 10 years than a motorized RV (depreciation respective). And current state of affairs, I can get a real good deal on a truck and spend less on the fiver. No one is really slashing prices on Class A's. I should also mention that my 07 F150 with 250k miles is getting long in the tooth. It won't be long until I need a new(er) truck anyway.

If the fiver sits for weeks at a time and I am still using the truck, seems less of a concern than a more expensive motorized RV sitting - engine and all.

But our nature of travel lends itself to a Class A. Long drive days and stays of only a few days or a week at a time. More nomadic than staying put for long periods.

Ok that was a lot, brain dump.

I had a RV salesman tell me once the for(you called it) nomadic use a MH did well, and if you are going to sit a lot then a 5th wheel is better.

We full timed almost for two years in our 39'4" 5th wheel making two round trips to Arizona from the NW with events taken in along the routes. Google Earth works well to plan a route in and out of a service station. I hate truck stops, fuel prices are higher, and they tend to be messy. Gas buddy works well, and our truck will find fuel prices on the 8.4" display.

We towed with our 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 CC SB SRW truck, and made our weights because the 5th wheel we choose had a lighter dry pin weight of 2435 lbs. Start with a dry pin of 3000+/- and you are in dually arena. Now the 5th wheel is our summer home and stays in our NW membership park and we had a metal roof installed on it. Not something that very many do with a MH.

Our first two years with both being retired we did extended fall trips in Western states. In 2008-2009 winter we did our first winter in a snowbird park in the East Phoenix valley area. And have returned each winter since then.

Three years ago we build a custom Park model with Arizona room. Two baths, bonus computer room with murphy bed for guest. 875 sq ft plus a 9x12 man cave, two decks and a back corner 5.5x6 storage room. Second bath has W/D. We now spend 7 months in Arizona and bought a little Laredo bumper pull to commute back and forth, and do sight seeing side trips. It is also our summer guest house, as we have two lots across the street for one another at our NW park.

Life is good. We enjoy are friends at each end and all the activities in the snowbird park. We have golf carts at each end. Life is what one makes it, last summer every Wednesday I did a Habitat for Humanity "Military Veterans Group" build on a home. Great bunch of guys and war stories.

I asked my parents years ago why they kept going back to Yuma each winter. Their answer was to see the friends they met the first winter!

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. DW talked at length and decided a FW is the direction we will go. Mainly due to cost and I need a new truck anyway. Just doesn't make sense right now to have a $120k MH that could potentially sit idle for weeks at a time and have to buy a truck simultaneously. I really like MH's and frankly having everything at your disposal while driving is a major plus, but it doesn't eclipse the financial aspect and usability on a daily basis. So in this case a FW is the more practical solution - if practical can ever be applied to RV's [emoticon]

So the search will start for a truck and FW. We have time, looking to finalize things by fall or winter. Our trip starts next June and I know I will need several months to work out bugs and set things in order.

I am sure I will have a TON of questions during our shopping, but one that comes to mind right now - I had thought we needed a diesel truck, but someone mentioned the newer gas trucks will work as well. If this is the case I can save a lot of money - not only on the truck but maintenance as well. Thoughts?

Don't buy a truck for the first 5th wheel! Buy one that will allow for a upgrade in trailers. Like I said in my other post, a 5th wheels loaded pin(hitch) weight is the determining factor on what you can "tow".

Besides power and mileage advantage of the diesel truck, they come down the mountain passes on their exhaust brake leaving one's service brakes nice a cool for emergencies.

A 350/3500 SRW should be our starting point for a new truck. Based on the pin weight of the 5th wheel DW falls in love with will determine if that is enough truck or if you need a dually. So shop the trailer first!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

If you are going to travel up to 6 months at a time, then you are going to have a pretty loaded 5th wheel. If you plan on a D/W in a front bedroom closet that weight goes right on the pin. Add a generator in the front storage area and a lot of the additional weight is on pin. The weight of the hitch you install in the truck and anything in the bed has to be able to be carried by the trucks rear axle along with the pin weight.

Short bed vs long bed is another decision. We bought a short bed for two reasons. Fit in the garage at the time and easy of daily driving for both DW and myself. Short bed and then the slider hitch discussion kicks in. We choose a 5th wheel with a full hight roof line front to back that provide larger windows and seems very roomie in the living area. I always look for a seating to TV viewing that is straight on. Both of our trailers have recliners directly across for the TV's.

[image]

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Don't buy a truck for the first 5th wheel! Buy one that will allow for a upgrade in trailers. Like I said in my other post, a 5th wheels loaded pin(hitch) weight is the determining factor on what you can "tow".

Besides power and mileage advantage of the diesel truck, they come down the mountain passes on their exhaust brake leaving one's service brakes nice a cool for emergencies.

A 350/3500 SRW should be our starting point for a new truck. Based on the pin weight of the 5th wheel DW falls in love with will determine if that is enough truck or if you need a dually. So shop the trailer first!

Me again is correct, you need to purchase a truck that will handle your needs, both for towing and for “around town”. It does get expensive to have to trade both the truck and the 5th wheel in at the same time. Look at your possibilities and purchase the “right” truck for your needs, both now and in the near future. Look close at a diesel, only real service is oil change and filters! As stated if you do any Mountian driving, you will love the exhaust brake! And as I mentioned earlier a auxiliary diesel fuel tank is relatively inexpensive item to add! Good luck!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Generic questions about 5-ers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.