cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter

esfd243
Explorer
Explorer
In our 5th wheel we have an inverter that allows us to run the fridge while driving. It also runs the fridge and 1 outlet next to it when the power is out.

Can I leave this on full time to cover for a power outage when we are not in the camper? Or does it need to stay off while not in use?
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

Your system is magnificently efficient.

In my condo I'm using 4.3 kwh per day. That does not include space heating or water heating. I do pay for them, but the costs are hidden in the condo fee. It does include about 48 hours (run time) of a triple mini split air conditioner with only one evaporator turned on. The billing period was actual meter readings that were 20 days apart. The condo is 1100 square feet on the 2nd floor.

The peak loads were in the class C rv, when it was close to -40, with a wind of 20 mph. I'm able to heat it 100% electrically. I don't recommend attempting this unless you have access to a 50 amp pedestal, or a 30 amp, and twin 15 amp shore power supplies.

On a 50 amp, I am able, except for peak load, to stay below 80% of the rated output. The OEM is 30 amp and I added both a 20 amp, and 15 amp auxiliary shore power cords. On the peak load I'm out of balance by about 5 amps on the two legs, but only over 80% on one leg. I do have a nice break out box with its own 30 and two 20 amp outlets, with breakers. I do use the autoformer on the 30 amp leg, so I can have full power.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Holy Mole Piano Tuna,

I run an entire 1 bdrm apartment on 146 kWh for 63 days. I put a tiny 82mm fan behind the monster 20CF refrigerator to expel the heated air and run time dropped by 35%. No washing machine and all 120VAC lighting. I forgot but the fan draws something like 3 watts. Dual ball bearings.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
What you really want is an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The residential fridge at my condo uses less than 2 kwh per day.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
An RV Fridge can draw around 3 amps AC or 30 DC when running. that's a lot of current. A GC-2 pair only has about 220 amp hours total 110 that you can use so that's 3 hours (less actually) per pair.

A Residential fridge is often a bit more efficient. figure 4-5 hours max and the Inverter may not let you run it down that far.

Also if the Fridge compressor is RUNNING when shore power is lost (Residential type) that ... May not be good depending on just how fast the inverter's transfer switch flips.. YOu can weld the switch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the inverter can run 24/7/365 and will operate perfectly as long as the batteries have enough voltage.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
esfd243 wrote:
In our 5th wheel we have an inverter that allows us to run the fridge while driving. It also runs the fridge and 1 outlet next to it when the power is out.

Can I leave this on full time to cover for a power outage when we are not in the camper? Or does it need to stay off while not in use?

You can run the fridge from the inverter, which is supplied by the battery when there is no shore power, but when there is shore power, the inverter runs from the battery which in turn is "supported" by the converter. However, when the "power is out", no converter, so as stated above, it won't last long on just the battery. Some solar can extend that battery time.

It is ok to leave it on the inverter with shore power and converter support. Just hope the power comes back on soon. (Don't leave anything on in that one outlet though, or it will shorten in the battery time even more.)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class A has 4 house batteries, and a separate battery for the chassis.

I used to only run the inverter while driving. Now I leave it on anytime the residential fridge is running. This way the power doesn't bump on/off when running on the generator, or shore power.

Furthermore, with this pandemic, I'm using the fridge to store additional food while it is parked next to the house. Even though it's connected to shore power, the inverter stays on in case the grid power goes down. The inverter doesn't care.

The inverter in the RV is a Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 model. Same one I have at home, used with my solar setup. This one has been running 24/7/365 since 2011, and powers my office, and workshop. I replaced the GFCI once, but no other issues. This is why I have no concerns about leaving the one in the RV powered when needed.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how it was wired.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That depends on where your power source is. If it's just a battery, it won't last long. If it's plugged in, it'll be fine.