cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Narrow Staple Gun

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer uses a lot of very narrow staples to hold things together. I have some repairs to do and would like to use the narrow staples too but I can't find a staple gun or staples as narrow as mine. I can find 1/4" staple guns but the staples used in my trailer are probably more like 1/8". Any idea where I might find a really narrow staple gun and staples?
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL
14 REPLIES 14

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Porter-Cable model US-58 22ga. fine wire stapler...used mostly for upholstery, but it's also good for paneling projects...staples are Type "C" (same as Senco) available 1/4" to 5/8" length...got mine online for $89.00.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Memphisdoug wrote:
My trailer uses a lot of very narrow staples to hold things together. I have some repairs to do and would like to use the narrow staples too but I can't find a staple gun or staples as narrow as mine. I can find 1/4" staple guns but the staples used in my trailer are probably more like 1/8". Any idea where I might find a really narrow staple gun and staples?

Sorry late to the party, but I think I have what you are looking for. I restore campers as a hobby and needed one for wall and ceiling board.

The staple is approx. 3/16" wide, it is not 1/4" and the wire thickness is less than the common 18 gauge staples as I have one of them too. I searched and searched to find this, but I did find one. The stapler I found is called a โ€œfine wire 22 gaugeโ€ stapler and often also called an "upholstery stapler". Mine is air driven. This is not to be confused with a โ€œcarpetโ€ stapler, they are close, but not like the 22 gauge fine wire stapler.

You will not find these at the big box stores, I tried Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and they could not match it and never heard of it as I brought them an old pulled out staple to compare.

For what I do with it the 18 gauge it too big, it leaves to much of a depression, large wire to cover over. I was looking for what my brand camper manufacture used as the staples almost disappear into the wall board. Then use a blend stick and you cannot tell a staple was ever there.

This is what I bought and it works excellent. This brand is higher end and the cost reflects it. I am doing enough camper work that I could justify it. And after using it, it works so nice the extra cost for a high quality tool is worth it for me.

Model no. (Note: Mine is single shot. I did not want the automatic rapid fire. They do offer the auto ione if wanted)

A pic of the size I have, they make them in different lengths.

The number on the box of staples. I had to buy a box of them, 20,000 staples per box.

Here are the specs on it from Senco
https://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/sft10xp-a-d-wire-stapler

To see the staple sizes, look under the Spec's tab on the Senco link.

I bought it at ToolBarn. There are other places that sell them too. https://www.toolbarn.com/senco-6s0001n.html/ I bought the Senco staples on Ebay as they had them and ToolBarn had to order.

Hope this helps

John

Sorry the 2 pics are rotated. Flicker is not working right today to rotate them.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/clearance/18-gauge-14-in-crown-air-stapler-68018.html

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
bosh, portercable, ryobi, metabo all make narrow crown staplers, and the staples fit most any gun. The portercable NS150 is a good gun as is the metabo. Both are around $100 or less at lowes/home depot,etc.

For that matter, if one is really on a budget, Harbor Freight sells a narrow crown stapler for $25 (less whatever coupon discount you can find). I don't have personal experience with that particular unit, but the HF pin brad nailer and wide crown stapler (as in T-50) I have seem to work just fine for my fairly casual use. Their safeties are somewhat questionable, but the larger ones including the stapler talked about here have better safety systems.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
bosh, portercable, ryobi, metabo all make narrow crown staplers, and the staples fit most any gun. The portercable NS150 is a good gun as is the metabo. Both are around $100 or less at lowes/home depot,etc.

make sure you adjust the depth of the crown. Especially on thin material it's easy and possible to set the depth so the crown of the staple goes ALL the way through the top material! On thin material I usually adjust the gun so the crown of the staple just indents the material.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Memphisdoug wrote:
Do you happen to have a model number for your stapler? Those are the correct staples

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
My Porter Cable air compressor stapler uses those.

Do you happen to have a model number for your stapler? Those are the correct staples
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said, they're likely narrow crown 18 guage staples. If you have a compressor, pneumatic narrow crown staplers are available for not much money; often they also can drive 18 gauge finish nails. (Good ones, such as you'd need if you used one all day every day, do of course cost good money; but the $30ish ones work fine for occasional use in my experience.)

There's nothing especially magical about the staples; you could use small nails or screws or whatever seems appropriate to do your repair work just as well. The staples are just quick to install and hold better than nails (so if you use nails, use a few more).

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Porter Cable air compressor stapler uses those.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
It's probably an air stapler. I had one once and I think the staples were pretty narrow.
Link
Yep. This is what is needed. They come in a wide variety of leg lengths. They can run at air pressures down to 50 lb or so depending on leg length and hardness of the wood.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I usually see 1/8" leg staples but seldom see a crown of less than 3/8".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
go to lowes or home depot take a staple with you, show the clerk it,ll most likely be a air stapler. home depot rents tools.

Admin
Oops
I tried to post this in your post :E

Look at cable/wire staplers, some get very narrow
Start with Amazon and go from there

Admin
Admin
RV.net

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's probably an air stapler. I had one once and I think the staples were pretty narrow.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup