cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on these tie-downs?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I found the tie-downs that came with the camper. Are these the TorkLift FastGuns? I know Lance specifies spring-loaded tie downs and these look like they have springs in them. There's no brand or markings on them that I could find. Anything I need to do besides clean them up?

14 REPLIES 14

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift does make a basic spring load kit for the front tie downs for less that $100..Not a bad option in my opinion for those of us that don't want to spend the big money on this downs..That back is easy to take care of and basically just to keep it from bouncing..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
specta wrote:
I'd buy new ones. 😄

Such a statement is worthless without sending a contribution to fellow member.
New ties are >>> $300, where the picture doesn't show any mechanical problems with old ones.

He asked for our opinion.
I gave him mine.
I said "I'd buy new ones".

I didn't tell him too.

Your opinion is even more worthless than mine.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I'd buy new ones. 😄

Such a statement is worthless without sending a contribution to fellow member.
New ties are >>> $300, where the picture doesn't show any mechanical problems with old ones.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, I am going to take a stab at cleaning/lubing them and see where that gets me. The jacks were rusty so after verifying that they all worked, I cleaned them up and painted them and then lubed the gears. They look like new now!

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
If you will be going out on the beach as I suspect these were, I would clean them up buy a new safety pin and roll with them, you have spent enough money on this project I am sure some savings would be a benefit. Btw, nothing wrong with using HJ with these or torklift, I had chains on my torklifts using the same ones.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy new ones. 😄
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Those ties pivot between square and round parts, so you can adjust them mounted, therefore nut is necessary.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don’t know why the nut is needed since the hook can’t spin.

But the unsecured nut can spin. Vibration and gravity will pull it down. Not on these rusty threads anymore, though 😉
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Happijack Quickloads. I had a set. royal pain to adjust. You need two open end wrenches to adjust and snug the rods everytime you reload the camper onto the truck. Went to Torklift Fastguns and never looked back

Could you not use them without the jamb nut? That’s pretty much what Fastguns do. I don’t know why the nut is needed since the hook can’t spin.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Happijack Quickloads. I had a set. royal pain to adjust. You need two open end wrenches to adjust and snug the rods everytime you reload the camper onto the truck. Went to Torklift Fastguns and never looked back
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
To use with Torklift frame mounts also need to change the short rods as these are setup for HJ mounts.
https://buyautotruckaccessories.com/brand/lippert-components-inc?subcategory=hooks
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Clean em up and get new safety pins and roll out.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have what looks the same and I ditto that they have to be Happijacs, although with no logo I can't be 100% sure.
The longer ones have spring inside.
I mean longer bodies as yours have shorter hooks on them.
The bodies have small drainage hole at the bottom, what needs to be clean or you will have water standing on the threads.

brain
Explorer
Explorer
They look like Happijac Qwikloads, to me:

https://buyautotruckaccessories.com/lippert-components-inc/182895/?gclid=CjwKCAjwt-L2BRA_EiwAacX32W9bHdlrsQQqZYmqsbN59atFDhWqqGZjCG89lfdk_pR357BdgwTO1RoCfbMQAvD_BwE