cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E-450 Spare Tire carriers

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I've been putting together a spare tire kit for our C. I know some of you would never consider doing this, so this is geared towards those that do carry a spare....and hope to never use it. **Please, keep this to HOW to carry the spare...not all the other pros/cons/items needed to change it...I've already had posts on that! :W

How do you carry the spare? I thought I'd go with a hitch mounted unit, but expensive...and interferes with our Jeep dinghy. I wish they mounted underneath...

Any ideas? What have you done? Anyone make an underside carrier?
18 REPLIES 18

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
We dodged that bullet. Phoenix did great. This used to be standard, now offered as an option.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Roadmaster carrier.

Got a nice cover for it.

Tow my SUV behind it. No problems to Alaska and back.

And did not need it.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a large overhang off the back with plenty of room where a spare tire should have been mounted. I went the cheap/easy route. I got two ratchet straps and strapped the spare tire between the two frame beams. I was able to loop the strap around the frame and floor. I followed it up with a length of chain in the event of a strap failing. I will still be dragging a tire with a strap failure, but the tire won't go flying off.

Have used the spare once in two years, picked up a screw at a campsite. Hardest part is putting the tire up, gravity sure makes it easy coming down, just don't be below it!
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've used bumper mounts on all my rigs and never had a problem, but I torque them just right so nothing cracks.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kit Carson wrote:
My 2008 Winnebago came from the factory with a spare carrier mounted underneath. The spare has never been on the ground!
Exactly the same as my '07 Forester, and lucky enough to say that mine also has never been on the ground.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kit Carson wrote:
My 2008 Winnebago came from the factory with a spare carrier mounted underneath. The spare has never been on the ground!

The issue I had with mine is the carrier was hit with something and bent one of the bolts that holds it in position. After having a blow out, and a vicious one, AAA

struggled getting the tire out of the rack. Once home again, I straighten and lubed all necessary parts so IF the need arises it will be much easier to remove.

You have a very old tire under there. And the pressure in it is how much you say? Check that tire and especially look for cracks, save headaches later.

Dairyman_John
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a spare under the rear of my Four Winds using a new winch from Ford just like comes on an F-350. I put a piece of pipe out the back for the handle to let it down without even climbing under it. I also bought a hydraulic jack from same vehicle. It is short, telescopes and very strong and lightweight. It is excellent although I might be biased!

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
x2 for "once a year or two, take it down and lubricate or use anti-seize on all moving parts/nuts. Better than having to use heat and a breaker bar when you really need it, side of Interstate in the rain."

Our under chassis is effective, but we've been there too, but roadside had to cut the bolt. So now I use a length of chain, a caribener- and a lock for any fools out there.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we owned our Class C, it did come with a spare, mounted on a rear bumper spare tire mount. With the spare tire mount and the roof ladder, we couldn't use all 4 bikes on our hitch mounted 4 bike rack. So we moved the spare tire under the queen bed. There was a lot of space under the bed. Even with the tire there, we had plenty of room for other stuff.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Mounted mine on the roof. Machinest son made me a 12โ€ square of 3/16 stainless with 2 bolts welded on that fit the wheel lug holes. Screwed down with #12 stainless screws. Then all of this was covered with 2 layers of fiberglass . People always ask how would you get it down, my reply was gravity is your friend. Tire was covered with a snap on housing that protected from UV.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
You could mount under side of the frame as Baja Man did

Here is a link to that thread with pictures!

Thanks to everyone for your response! I love the underside mount idea -- will be looking into that.

Guess I'm a cautious fool...gotta carry tools and spare tires. That was the biggest shocker to me going to a C from a TT....none had spare tires (at least the models we looked at....Coachmen, Jayco, Forest River, etc)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My '98 Coachmen came with an underside-mounted carrier, as well. It's a style that has a crank mechanism with a shaft that runs to a little cover on the side of the motorhome; stick the appropriate socket or handle there, and it's not hard to wind the spare down. Getting it back up is a tiny bit trickier as the wheel tends to balance the wrong way and wants to get caught in the wrong position on the frame, so it usually involves a bit of crawling around underneath to persuade it to winch up properly. (Naturally, one does have to crawl underneath to fetch the spare after it's been winched down, or at the least to detach it from the hoist mechanism before driving forward a bit to clear it.)

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:

The same as Desert captain.
A rectangular boxes made from 1" square tubing, and a centre plate with studs to hold the rim/tire. It's hinged on the drivers side mount to the frame. On the other side, the threaded stud coming down. Held up by a large wing nut and secured by a snap pin, so it can't vibrate loose.
Hint once a year or two, take it down and lubricate or use anti-seize on all moving parts/nuts. Better than having to use heat and a breaker bar when you really need it, side of Interstate in the rain.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a roadmaster spare tire carrier that is hitch mounted but also allows you to insert an extension to mount a ball for towing. Only limitation would be the weight of what you are towing vs what your vehicle would tow. Unit is in the $500+ range.