cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEW FIFTH WHEEL PURCHASE AND HAVE QUESTIONS

Armand_C
Explorer
Explorer
We recently sold our 2005 Keystone Outback fifth wheel and purchased a brand new 2021 Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel. The new amenities and functionality between the two are light years apart. The new Reflection is a 50 amp trailer so i am not sure on what i can and can't use when hooked up to 30 amp power. what adapters do i need and can they be used with a surge protector? Which surge protector should i use?

Since i cant use my gear from the old trailer, I feel like I am starting all over again with all the new gear out on the market with all the new styles, functionality and designs out there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
2021 Grand Design Reflection
8 REPLIES 8

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had this 2018 Cardinal trailer for 1 1/2 years, have traveled over 12,000 miles and 200 nights. We bought and have used a Camco 50 Amp power defender for this trailer at a good discount and are pleased. It will disconnect with low and extremely high voltage, protect with pedestal wiring problems and 4,200 Jules surge.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a selection of 30/50, 50/30 adapters. I use a 30 amp chord when travelling, much easier than dragging out that 50 amp lump for a quick overnight.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What gear can't you use?

If you are on a 30amp site, you can still use the extra 30amp cord, then connect the dogbone to that before going into the 50amp cord.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
With a 50 amp trailer you are really getting 100 amps to your camper. You can probably run everything at once, including 2 a/c's, microwave and Splendide washer dryer at once.

With a 50 amp camper it gives you several options if 50 amps is not available, if you have the proper adapters, such as:
60 amps if there are 2 30 amps available, many state parks have this.
50 amps if there is a 30 amp and a regular 20 amp plug available.

I have used all of these options before and they all work. All you need is the proper adapters.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Surge protector either a Progessive Industries HW-50C (Hardwired) or the Southwire (Formerly TRC) equivlent WITH remote readout (both cases)
ON the PI set the "Power on delay" to LONG.

As others have said a good 50-30 Dogbone (Some call it 30-50 but I go with RV to Power outlet) I like the Camco Power pull type personally but that's because they are easier to unplug more than any advantage.. Also either a 50-15 or a 30-15 for battery maintenance at home.

What can you run on on 15/20, 30, 50

You have big ticket items they include
Air conditioner
Microwave
(Please do not use space heaters less you add HD wiring and outlets (12 ga aND 15/20 amp outlets with wire bent around a well tightened screw)
Washer/Dryer if you have one
Electric cooking appliances and coffee pots
Water heater

And if the batteries are low.. THE CONVERTER (Mine can suck a full 10-11 amps)

Small ticket items
The converter if batteries are full
TV, Radio. Computers. Fans (Plug in kind)

FRide at 350-400 is a "medium"

20 amp ONE big ticket if batteries are full (15 amp you might not be able to Air Condition)

30 amp ONE A/C and one other big ticket or two big ticket Hint follows

50 amp.. ALL YOU CAN EAT.

On 30 you may want to run an Absorption cooling unit on Gas (I do not)

Also I swapped my water heater element .. The OEM was 1500 watt at 120 volt (ABOUT 12.5 Amp) the new one is 1500 watt at 240 volt.. Since it is just a big resistor that makes it about 375 watts or 3.125 amps at 120 volt. A "Medium" like the fridge.

NOTE>. I had the tank out for other reasons when I did the swap (Swapped in a new tank at the same time)

The result is fewer breaker trips on 30 amp sites.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good 50 amp EMS will work fine with either amperage: 30 or 50. I plug my adapter into the 50 amp EMS and then into the pedestal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Armand_C
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Alan, can that adapter plug into a surge protector or do I need another adapter to plug into that? Or do i need to buy a 30 amp surge protector instead of a 50 amp one? I am hearing alot of good things about the progressive industries one.
2021 Grand Design Reflection

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a good 30A-to-50A "dogbone" to plug your new trailer into a 30A campground outlet. When running 30A you need to be aware of how much electricity you're using. Most newer units have the capability of monitoring your usage, and they will shed the loads as necessary to keep you under the 30A, but you can help out by not running multiple large loads simultaneously. For instance: you can run one AC unit and the microwave at the same time, but don't add in a washer/dryer, or hair dryer, or space heater.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004