cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet

Lexinator
Explorer
Explorer
I want to travel but my work requires a direct connection to ethernet port. Does anyone know how I could get internet with Ethernet connection? Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I use a GL 750s works great less expensive is the GL 300 or 150 FOR $25.

Connect as a repeater and use the Ethernet port you can turn off WIFI.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I use public WiFi where I live, and always use a VPN (Proton). If I go to one of my banking websites, I use my phoneโ€™s secure hotspot in addition to the VPN for extra security.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago, when WEP was all the rage, my company disabled our wireless adapters to insure that the connection within our home network couldn't be 'sniffed' and then viewed.

Move forward with the advent of the modern VPN's and encryption on the workstations and the need to work off an ethernet cable for security reasons has been mitigated.

With Covid, the whole working on an ethernet cable has come full circle. We moved our entire workforce from office based to home based in less than 3 weeks; However, what we couldn't control was connectivity in the home environment. We had issues with apps that were not designed to operate over a VPN connection.

One of the first things we had to do was start shipping ethernet cables to the homes of our employees - to rule out the problem of wireless intereference in the home.

For about 30% of the Work From Home (WFH) employees, the problems were resolved - but they complained about the cables on the floors, etc.

You never know why a company makes decisions by people who sit in a cubicle somewhere in the bowels of the building without applying common sense to the problem.

In Lexinator's situation - he may have been forced for either Security or just general connectivity issues as a result of what their internal support folks have encountered.

I don't agree with the with their recommendation - but we can recommend some solid solutions from either PBeverly or 1492.

Thank you both for replying to his request for a solution.

Josh

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this with a iPhone se on visible.com phone on Verizon. You can get the monthly down to $25 with a little research. And a gli.net gl-ar750s router, it has ac WiFi and several rj45 ports and lots of options
Winnebago Access 24V

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:

I guess I don't understand why or how hard-wired Ethernet could improve on this. :h

Thanks to CV19, I'm mostly working from home. Had to go into the office today, and I realized it's been several months since I backed up my computer... gotta love a corporate hardwire to transfer A LOT OF DATA ๐Ÿ™‚

Everything in my house except my desktop is wifi, and quite frankly it could be too. It's predecessor was hardwire only.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmm ... we have three adults getting their Internet service via WiFi from the router I installed. One works from home, and the other two stream a lot ... often at 4K resolution.

HOWEVER the router is fed via cable delivering the Internet to it at 110 - 115 Mbps speeds, and I set up the two folks who stream alot on the 5 MHz band coming out of the router and I set up the one who works from home on their own separate 2.4 MHz band coming out of the router.

We experience NO buffering ever at that incoming bandwiidth to the router and using split bands out of the router. All three clients are set up with maximum security protocols and are protected with top notch access and browser security setups.

I guess I don't understand why or how hard-wired Ethernet could improve on this. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am wondering How they know you are using a Direct Ethernet cable and not a wi-fi or cell connection.. (yes it is possible to do it but I wonder)

Is it just that the hardware is provided by work and does not have Wi-Fi. If so man do I have answers (Ubiquity nano station) Some of those are downright impressive.

If they are doing a trace route to see if it's going via a wi-fi router or cell tower... Well Can't help you there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

I've been using this MoFi 4G LTE router for many years now. Never had an issue with it running 24/7. It uses a 4G data micro SIM card provided by your network provider. You have 4-Ethernet ports available, though can add more routers/switches as needed?

I keep my PC/notebooks and smart TV connected via Ethernet, and use WiFi for tablets/smartphones. I also prefer Ethernet as the signal is more consistent, and not subject to additional radio interference associated with WiFi.

Writing this post with MoFi connected by Ethernet:

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Sort of a silly requirement if you ask me. I work remote for a large financial institution and deal with OFAC and SDN data - along with millions of customer's PII and a wireless connection on a secure VPN is fine. Hardwiring into a wifi router is still sending information over the air isn't it? At some point no matter how you connect there's a good chance it's over air anyway. Maybe I am missing something.

Exactly - what they need is a VPN, not how the computer is connected to the internet. I would ask your IT department about that. I have both wired and wireless in my house, it all goes to the same router in my house. No difference in the connection or speed. There issue might be speed - 1Mbps service is not the same as 10 or 20, etc.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sort of a silly requirement if you ask me. I work remote for a large financial institution and deal with OFAC and SDN data - along with millions of customer's PII and a wireless connection on a secure VPN is fine. Hardwiring into a wifi router is still sending information over the air isn't it? At some point no matter how you connect there's a good chance it's over air anyway. Maybe I am missing something.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lexinator
Explorer
Explorer
My exact thoughts! Thanks all.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon and AT&T works well for me.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
My work has same requirement. I use this a NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX2700

The extender connects to my phone then I plug the laptop into the extender. So yeah, stupid, but it works. Meets the requirement of hardwired to the laptop.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Lexinator wrote:
Yeah maybe thinking a 4/5gt modem and SIM card with router. I will have to play around at home to see if I can get some system working.

and how does that satisfy the requirement for a hardline connection?
Because he plugs his PC into the Ethernet port on the router and eliminates the WIFI connection he would otherwise use. I could do this but my work seems WIFI to be secure and we use a VPN.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36