cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much is too little to spend on a used Class C?

tobinduby
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been reading a lot about the danger signs and what to watch for. But I still have one question: is there a price under which you know a class C is not worth buying?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on your needs/expectations. I bought a 1976 class C in 2006 off eBay for $2500. Everything worked, but it was pretty “spartan”. My son and i used it for 5 seasons as hunting and fishing rig. When i bought a nicer rig to travel with the family i sold it to the kid down the street for $50. He and his buddies used it for a hunting and fishing rig for a couple of years, then sold it.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ That’s a good way to put it.
Or in other words , there’s no free lunches.
Everything is going to cost you time, money or a combination thereof.
And your skill level and time availability can offset some of the money, if you have the skill and time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If all of the units in your price range seem to be used up or too old, wait till you can do better!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
tobinduby wrote:
I’ve been reading a lot about the danger signs and what to watch for. But I still have one question: is there a price under which you know a class C is not worth buying?

Thanks!

A lot of people don't understand or confuse cost, price and value. Simply put, "cost" is what the seller has invested in the unit or product. "Price" is what the seller is willing to let it go for, and the difference between cost and price is profit or loss for the seller. "Value" is what the buyer is willing to pay to acquire the product. So a sale is possible when "value" is equal to or exceeds "price". (Negotiation is a process of adjusting the "price" and "value" between seller and buyer.)

BUT if you value a unit significantly more than the seller has priced it at it might be a good deal, the seller may be in a financial bind needing to sell at a loss, or the seller might know something about the unit that you don't. In any case you'd be able to get it for less than you expected and that should be a warning that you're spending too little to get what you think - unless you understand the reason for the difference.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of $5,000 or less motor homes. Most of them are junk. Spend at least around $8,000, $10,000 is even better.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you don't have much money and don't mind working on things, the price could be pretty low.
If you have to ask, you probably don't understand the costs involved with owning or fixing. So think of it this way. Obviously a new one is like a new car.
A $10,000 one could be anywhere from that nice older grampa car with low miles that needs a little work here n there, but well cared for, to the beater with 200k miles on it with 2 bald tires and a requirement to add oil every tank of gas....with a bad refrigerator.
Except plan to spend more than you would on a car to keep it going.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
When it is too good to be true
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Only you can determine if a purchase is possible and the hiring of a pro inspector worthwhile.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad