cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Experience replacing RV fridge drain hose?

Uwanar
Explorer
Explorer
Reaching out to see if any other RV DIY types have needed to replace their fridge drain hose multiple times and how long to expect them to last? I read article on the refrigerator faq. Mine is a stock (2015 Keystone w/ Dometic) standard plastic corrugated hose that extends out through the fridge exterior baffle panel like a lot of others. I had to replace my hose 2 seasons ago due to it becoming brittle and cracked and it is already cracking again. Thought it was sunlight UV breakdown but Iโ€™ve read online that it is caused by the acidity or pH of the dripping condensate from the fridge. Thinking of using a different material, rubber automotive heater hose next time? Anyone have similar experience or advice?
7 REPLIES 7

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes has a clear plastic hose with a fiber reinforcement in the plastic.

If your fridge is in a slideout, the drain fitting can be reached by removing one of the fans.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
It's caused by its being thin and cheap. I bypassed it by turning around the drip tray and putting a small container to catch the water. Dump it now and then.

That (cheap thin plastic) is a fact and there are other things aging it fast. Mine is 15 years old and last I checked ok.

I'd replace with a thicker plastic tube if I were replacing mine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
I used vinyl tubing from the local big box hardware store. It was half inch ID IIRC - and cheap.

This is what I recommend. The clear vinyl tubing will last forever.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
You only have to replace it once. Just use heavier quality tubing.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
That water is basically distilled, about as inert as it gets. The cheap remark is correct.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I used vinyl tubing from the local big box hardware store. It was half inch ID IIRC - and cheap.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's caused by its being thin and cheap. I bypassed it by turning around the drip tray and putting a small container to catch the water. Dump it now and then.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman