Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Have you broken a post fore a crown?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Have you broken a post fore a crown?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a post break last night. I am kind of shocked since I thought they were stronger than a tooth. On the plus side, there is no pain since it is on a tooth with a root canal. Just fyi, I was brushing my teeth.

Have you broken one and is this common?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't know they put posts in for a crown. I have had a few and none have posts. The tooth is cleaned up, shaped, and then the crown is glued/cemented to the tooth. OTOH I have broken a crown. Not common though.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I didn't know they put posts in for a crown. I have had a few and none have posts. The tooth is cleaned up, shaped, and then the crown is glued/cemented to the tooth. OTOH I have broken a crown. Not common though.

It's not truly a post like with an implant or similar. When they grind the tooth down for the crown to mount to, they leave a small part of the center of the tooth to provide support and a surface for the crown to glue to.

To the OP, yes, I broke one. Unfortunately, the only real options at that point are some type of bridge or having an implant done. In my case, it was one of my lower, back molars so there wasn't a tooth on either side to do a bridge with. I elected to just have the remaining portion of the tooth pulled and have a space there now as I just couldn't see the cost of an implant for that tooth location. I haven't had any negative effects from it, but the dentist said it was possible that the top tooth could loosen and have to be removed as well. That hasn't been the case for me and I had the lower tooth pulled about 3 years ago.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an update, the post didn’t break. It just looked like it.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the tooth. Teeth that do a lot of work may get a post, especially if the remaining tooth isn't in great shape. I had a root canal on a molar that got a cavity while I had braces and had to have a post and crown. My daughter fractured a front tooth as a young child. Now 18, she had a root canal done and then a crown, no post.

Glad to hear your post didn't break. I couldn't imagine the force needed to break a post.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had several crowns installed some years ago in Mexico and yes, they installed posts in each tooth. Maybe that's standard practice south of the border; I don't know. I had the work done by Alamo Dental in Algadones. Most of the teeth were molars.

* This post was edited 06/08/20 02:07pm by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Have you broken a post fore a crown?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.