cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winegard Coax Cable ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have the classic Winegard crank up wing TV antenna (12 yr old) on our MH roof. A branch caught the cable loop as it enters the antenna head and broke it, so I need to replace it. I have pulled the rubber boot off where the coax enters the rotating base and found a blob of potting goop to keep water out. Is there a coax connector under this goop so I can replace the exterior coax? Any one know? If so I will dig it out, unscrew the connector and replace the entire exterior cable. I hope it is not just a cable pass thru to the interior. If so, then I have to crimp on new connector and splice it.

I also want to replace the coax rubber boots. Are these available somewhere?

Anyone's experience with this would be appreciated.

Thank you
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
5 REPLIES 5

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe there is and maybe there's not. Sometimes it's is a CxxPshoot. Dig in the caulk and see what you find. If it's not easily accessible then give up and run a new cable. That might mean running a new coax from the antenna and drilling a small hole at an accessible location to route the new cable to the power supply inside. If you run an entirely new cable, make that from the head itself to the power supply and make it RG6. If you do any sort of a patch, it makes no difference if you use RG6 or RG59 as the patch cable.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes there is a standard coax connection under the blob one at both ends
Cable is common RG-59 usually (use good stuff or use RG-6) GOOD RG-59 is nearly as good as cheap RG-6.. But it don't take much cheap 59 to degrade)

I use Waterproof COMPRESSION fittings. You need a special tool to apply but Man are they nice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
An easier way to gain access to the union coax connector is to remove the Inside Crank up handle and rotating ring. Shine a flashlight up in that 1.5 inch hole and close to the metal shaft you should see the coax wiring. Use a clothes hanger as a hook and pull the coax down. The coax from the top antenna head may not have slack, but will if you remove the upper boot and any sealant. The FEED cable from the wall booster to that union usually has at least 12 inches of extra cable. Once you have it pulled down disconnect the TOP head cable and route the NEW cable from the top thru the top plate hole. Connect the 2 cables and push back up in the ceiling cavity. A LOT easier than attempting to route the cable and connect from the top. BTW, the union even tho inside the Ceiling cavity may have rust and corrosion. If so, replace the feed end from the booster. Trying to pull the old cable and union UP from the top thru that small access hole in the mount plate usually results in the cables pulling apart at the union INSIDE the ceiling cavity. Resulting in a lot more work. Doug

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
We have the classic Winegard crank up wing TV antenna (12 yr old) on our MH roof. A branch caught the cable loop as it enters the antenna head and broke it, so I need to replace it. I have pulled the rubber boot off where the coax enters the rotating base and found a blob of potting goop to keep water out. Is there a coax connector under this goop so I can replace the exterior coax? Any one know? If so I will dig it out, unscrew the connector and replace the entire exterior cable. I hope it is not just a cable pass thru to the interior. If so, then I have to crimp on new connector and splice it.

I also want to replace the coax rubber boots. Are these available somewhere?

Anyone's experience with this would be appreciated.

Thank you

yes. if you replace it be sure the replacement cable is either RG-6 (preferable) or RG-59.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It should be a screw on connector under the sealant. You can find a short coax cable at Walmart to replace the one that was damaged. Some already have the boots for the ends but it is a good idea to wrap them with something to keep them waterproof.