Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Walkable TT roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Walkable TT roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Skipg

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have 2020 TT call manufacturer about installing roof access ladder. Was told there was no backing to support a ladder. Also was advised not to walk on roof with out a backing board to walk on. My question is when did manufacturers start building TT with non walkable roofs. How am you supposed to do roof maintenance?

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 trailer has a non-walkable roof. However, I've been walking on it since new. I just make a point of standing on the roof joists. It definitely sags a bit if I miss.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really have to research campers before buying now days. We have a Outdoors RV and the roof has 3/8 inch plywood on it, but I am still very careful when I walk on it.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive walked on the roof of my last 2 TT. If I couldn’t walk on it I would have to question how well made the trailer is!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT has a walkable roof and is 7.5 feet wide. I can accomplish everything from an extension ladder...thankfully. It isn't safe up there.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is, long ago is when they stopped making it walkable. Much cheaper and lighter to just have a roof than a walking platform

You can get a 2x3 foot piece of plywood (approx size) and lay on the roof and crawl on all 4s and get p there. Hopefully the wood will spread the load to the roof joist so you do not bend it too much. Being up there will flex the roof and the places the roof is glued or somehow joined to the next roof section may become weakened by all the flexing and cause a leak. A friend's teenage boy would walk on the roof (and he weighted abut 110 lbs) and eventually the roof leaked.

Do as much work as u can from a ladder, and be on the roof as little as possible and spread out the weight as far as possible.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Days wrote:

You really have to research campers before buying now days. We have a Outdoors RV and the roof has 3/8 inch plywood on it, but I am still very careful when I walk on it.

Like Old Days' Outdoors RV, all Grand Design RVs have 3/8" marine grade on the roof and are walkable. They also all come with ladders. What brand is yours, OP?

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons they started making non walk able roofs was to save weight, as people wanted "lightweight" TTs. If a coach didn't come with a ladder, it's a safe bet the roof isn't walk able, and adding a ladder never seems to work as there isn't any backing to attach one to. If you really feel the need to get up there- use the sheet of plywood method (as previously mentioned) to spread your weight.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

My question is when did manufacturers start building TT with non walkable roofs. How am you supposed to do roof maintenance?

Sounds like a very low end TT if the roof can't be walked on.

I'd find another brand.

I know that Arctic Fox / Nash / Fox Mountain and their Sister company, Outdoors RV always have had walk on roofs. They use 3/8" plywood on the roof.

Factory tour at ORV

All the above are built in LaGrande, OR

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Skipg

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our travel trailer is a 2020 Coachmen spirit model 1943. In talking to the manufacturer they said that our roof does have 3/8 Marine plywood on the roof. But still did not recommend walking on it so what’s the deal you guys have 3/8 and you can walk on them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Walkable TT roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.