Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Walkable TT roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Walkable TT roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most of us that walk on our roofs are careful to make our step count and hit the truss with each step. Having said that I'm pretty careful about what kind of shoes I wear. If I'm going to be on my hands and knees, I'm careful that my toes(of my shoes) aren't digging into the roof. A little planning and set up you should be good. As for the ladder............well that could take some research.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say crawlable is a better definition.

On my 4th travel trailer from various manufacturers and walkable has been a consistent exaggeration.

I wear crocks and knee pads when I'm washing or applying 303 on roof.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep seeing over and over people touting their 3/8 roof. How about the rafters that are 1.5x1.5 inches thick. When I had to redeck my trailer I doubled all the rafters before putting the new plywood and roof on. When taking the old decking off the only rafters that were doubled was where the A/C goes.

My personal opinion which matters little. If your a fictional 150# person you should have no trouble on the roof. Any more and you risk damage not so much from the plywood but the rafters under the plywood.

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

Have 2020 TT call manufacturer about installing roof access ladder. Was told there was no backing to support a ladder. Also was advised not to walk on roof with out a backing board to walk on. My question is when did manufacturers start building TT with non walkable roofs. How am you supposed to do roof maintenance?

A long time ago, some brands had non walk on roofs to save weight on purpose. This was long before the current day "light weight" campers. If done right in the method of construction, the roof would hold the snow loads of the northeast US without issue. A non walkable roof done right, I have no issues with.

Some may say having a lack of a walkon roof is low quality. That is a general statement and not accurate in all cases. I have restored several older campers with non walk on roofs, and the roof leaks that damaged the trailer had nothing to do with the non walk on roof feature. All those damaged campers died from the fact the owner was not aware or realized how campers die a slow death of water infiltration, how to spot it and how to prevent it.

As to servicings the roof, this is how I do it.

Start with a tarp, old carpet or other material to protect the roof membrane. Lay that out first from the side on a good well placed ladder.

Then using manageable sized pieces of plywood 3/8" or thicker, place them on the tarp to span at least 2 rafters. I find wood sheets 24 to 30" wide x 48" long work for me.

Be very careful when you transition on and off the ladder. Keep your body weight todays the camper as the ladder can be very tippy that high off the ground.

See here for how I do it.:
[image]

[image]

Personally, I do not like the RV weak ladders on the back of campers. That is a lot of weight and stress on those ladders for a 200# guy or gal to be getting on and off the roof. Especially if you are not sure the roof is sound under it. Use a good solid step ladder from the side when bringing tools and other things up and off the roof.

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice JBARCA. But most people don't have a clue how a RV is made. My Keystone Hideout is the first roof I have rebuilt. You learn a lot from hands on experience. Seen a lot of RV'S die a slow death from water intrusion that would have been easy to prevent with proper sealant. Then those that use the wrong products thinking they will save money, such as using silicone to seal the roof.

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost all junk single axle newbie trailers have ac on side walls as dead giveaway to non load bearing non walkable roof. 4 letter word: J U N K.

2007 Jayco Select 12HW.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My newbie single axle has standard 13.5 AC and a non-walkable roof, but that roof is a single piece of metal that spans from under the front cap all the way to the rear wall. I'll take it over a walkable TPO roof personally =)

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around 2004 Arctic Fox & Nash had an advertising picture of a group of people standing on the roof of one of their trailers. I think it was a 22H.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 Dutchmen Lite, if has a non-walk on roof. They are nothing new.

I sent the VIN number to the manufacturer an they said to put down boards before walking on the roof.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAThwacker wrote:

Almost all junk single axle newbie trailers have ac on side walls as dead giveaway to non load bearing non walkable roof. 4 letter word: J U N K.
While I don't dispute the term junk the construction is the same as larger trailers with 1.5x1.5 rafters. They went to window A/C because the cost is about a third of what a rooftop A/C would cost the company.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Walkable TT roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.