cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban Water Heater electric heating element question

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
There is an on/off switch located outside in the water heater(WH)bay. I understand this is to power the electric heating element should you choose to heat the water with 110v. If I want to heat with 110, should the inside switch for the WH be in the on or off position? I'm talking about the switch at the inside control panel. The model is SW6DE. Thanks.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
16 REPLIES 16

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Not unusual for a Suburban to have an inside switch for electric. The inside switch is 12 vdc that actuates a 12 vdc relay in a junction box on the water heater. The relay then passes 120 vac to the switch on the front of the water heater. On those you can leave the outside switch on and control the water heater on electric with the inside switch.

Suburban DEL Models ONLY
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keep in mind, it's not uncommon for the gas and electric indoor switches not to be next to each other. So if you have another switch that you don't know what it feeds, it might be the indoor electric.

Also, confirm that the water heater breaker is on.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
ANY RV using a Suburban Water Heater and has 2 inside switches plus OEM swith outside can thank the RV MFG (or previous owner)
Suburban does NOT supply an Inside Switch for the electric......just the Outside switch on ALL models (except 'DEL')

DEL Model-----OEM Dual switch that uses 12VDC for electric and gas
Only Model that does -----OEM 120VAC Outside switch still used

NUWA (HitchHiker) used BOTH Atwood and Suburban Water Heaters....model/vintage dependent.

NUWA (HitchHiker) used BOTH Atwood and Suburban Water Heaters....model/vintage dependent.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not unusual for a Suburban to have an inside switch for electric. The inside switch is 12 vdc that actuates a 12 vdc relay in a junction box on the water heater. The relay then passes 120 vac to the switch on the front of the water heater. On those you can leave the outside switch on and control the water heater on electric with the inside switch.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. After more research I'm fairly certain that the electric element needs to be replaced. I suspect that at some point I had the outside switch on, the RV hooked to shore power, and the tank empty. I've watched instructive videos and it's not much more difficult to change out than a anode rod would be. Total parts including a special tool runs less than $30.00.

The heating element is a Camco part number 02143. The special tool is the Camco Water Heater Element Wrench part number 09883.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well all three of our 5th Wheels, 2010, 2012, & 2016, have had a Suburban water heater with two switches inside, one DSI for Gas and one electric, plus the little black switch in the lower left corner of the heater it's self.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the inside switch is marked DSI,(Direct Spark Ignition) it's for propane.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
the inside switch on a Suburban is for gas only. The 15 amp breaker must be on for electric. leave the gas switch OFF. Atwoods have an inside electric switch. Suburbans do not. If you wish you can run both together for faster recovery. i use mine on gas only.

A lot of water heaters have 2 switches inside.....one for gas and one for electric plus the little rocker switch on the water heater for electric.
cpaulsen

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Our Hitch Hiker had both electric and gas indoor switches.

Was it a Suburban WH, which is what the OP has? Sounds like yours was an Atwood, which is different.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Our Hitch Hiker had both electric and gas indoor switches.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban OEM On/Of Switches

GAS...Inside the RV
Electric ....Outside Compartment

Some RV MFGs (previous owners too) will ADD an additional switch Inside for the electric ----wired in series so BOTH would have to be on for the electric to work.
When there is an Inside switch for electric the outside one can be left on and the inside one used to control electric heating

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
the inside switch on a Suburban is for gas only. The 15 amp breaker must be on for electric. leave the gas switch OFF. Atwoods have an inside electric switch. Suburbans do not. If you wish you can run both together for faster recovery. i use mine on gas only.

Never turn on electric with an empty tank.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Many, like mine and apparently yours, only have the one inside switch for propane and the outside switch for electric.

As a side note, you can operate the water heater on both propane and electric at the same time to get a better recovery rate. Especially nice in cold weather when the incoming water is cold.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
In that case you don't need the inside (gas) switch on.
I have two switches inside, gas and electric.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.