cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k

Andrewmart
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a vehicle for our travel trailer. My wife likes the sportsmen 301BHLE. It is 33 feet long and hitch weight of 880. Gross trailer weight is 8000. We both like the double bunk bed options and it's within our budget.

I'm hoping to get TV under 10k if possible (not sure that exists). This would likely just be used for towing trailer several times a year (10-15 times). The hard part is we have 4 children, and it would be preferable to all fit in one vehicle. I looked at the excursion but read differing opinions on whether it could tow something that big. I've also heard about getting a van but don't know where to start with that. Not opposed to getting a 3/4 ton pick up but then we'd have to take two vehicles, which is a little but of a hassle.

We currently have a F150 without HD tow package and 2017 expedition with HD tow package.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
64 REPLIES 64

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Andrewmart wrote:
I'm looking for a vehicle for our travel trailer. My wife likes the sportsmen 301BHLE. It is 33 feet long and hitch weight of 880. Gross trailer weight is 8000. We both like the double bunk bed options and it's within our budget.

I'm hoping to get TV under 10k if possible (not sure that exists). This would likely just be used for towing trailer several times a year (10-15 times). The hard part is we have 4 children, and it would be preferable to all fit in one vehicle. I looked at the excursion but read differing opinions on whether it could tow something that big. I've also heard about getting a van but don't know where to start with that. Not opposed to getting a 3/4 ton pick up but then we'd have to take two vehicles, which is a little but of a hassle.

We currently have a F150 without HD tow package and 2017 expedition with HD tow package.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The second sentence is confusing. Do you already own this trailer, or is it one you're wife likes and wants to buy? If you don't already own this trailer, can you find something else that will work that won't necessitate the need to purchase a third vehicle?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
Well I haven't been on here in a while but I was kicking around the option of selling my 8.1 3/4 ton burb. If any one is interested I might sell it. Its a 2005 gmc yukon xl 3/4 ton 8.1. Very rare indeed. I pull my 38' 10K trailer with it all the time (with 4 kids)with no problems whatsoever. It's rock solid mechanically but does have some normal wear and tear. I think it has a bit over 200k on the clock. I can check if anyone is interested.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My prior rig was a diesel Excursion pulling a 36' TT with a Hensley hitch . It was a great combo.
I eventually upgraded to my current 5th wheel. While my 5th wheel is a drastic improvement over my TT in terms of space.
My crew cab pick up is a step backwards in terms of space.
Passenger space is a key factor to enjoying the camping experience.
An SUV or a van will provide a lot more room for passengers that any crew cab pick up.
With 4 kids don't underestimate the need for ample passenger space especially on long trips. A crew cab pick up is cramped when compared to a SUV or van.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Andrewmart wrote:
So after thinking it over, we are gonna go with a 3/4 truck. Looking at a 2013-2016 either ram 2500 or Ford f250. I'm assuming all of those would be capable of towing our TT with a ProPride hitch. I've run the numbers and we are well within payload, hitch and total towing capacity. Will this type of truck make the drive better?

I expect it will be more a more stable tow, it will still move a bit, but shouldn't make you uneasy. My gas F250 has a payload of 3K and is solid going down the road, even without the weight distributing bars installed.

But on windy days, I'm glad I install the Sway control and know it is working.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Haven't seen a TT out there that was too much for any newer HD pickup. You can have good confidence that whatever you get will tow it more than adequately.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it will make it better, but you still need to have everything set up correctly. Also keep an eye out for a single rear wheel 350/3500, same size, more payload.

Andrewmart
Explorer
Explorer
So after thinking it over, we are gonna go with a 3/4 truck. Looking at a 2013-2016 either ram 2500 or Ford f250. I'm assuming all of those would be capable of towing our TT with a ProPride hitch. I've run the numbers and we are well within payload, hitch and total towing capacity. Will this type of truck make the drive better?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Gross weight of 8000 pounds with only 880 pounds of TW? I find that unlikely. Anyway, we agree on the compromises. But an Ecoboost Expy (1215+) for $10k budget?

He already owns the Expy
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Gross weight of 8000 pounds with only 880 pounds of TW? I find that unlikely. Anyway, we agree on the compromises. But an Ecoboost Expy (1215+) for $10k budget?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
carringb wrote:

The Chevy Express 6.0 with the 6-speed is good too but only has a 16,000# GCWR. Because of the higher curb weight, this means it can only tow about 500 pounds more than an Expedition, and the Expedition EcoBoost has WAY more torque on hand. The 6.0 has to spin fast to make power.

Power of Ecoboost means it will tow faster. But an Expedition has about half the payload of GM 1-ton van, so if you load up both with people and cargo, that 500 Tow rating advantage on paper grows quickly with larger families.

Yes, that's true. However the OP has 4 kids. Even if everybody in the family averaged 160 pounds, he could still pull the trailer he referencing with the Expedition he has now. The Express van would provide more payload that he doesn't necessarily need, while delivering less power and having fuel economy.
2015 Ford Focus ST

APT
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

The Chevy Express 6.0 with the 6-speed is good too but only has a 16,000# GCWR. Because of the higher curb weight, this means it can only tow about 500 pounds more than an Expedition, and the Expedition EcoBoost has WAY more torque on hand. The 6.0 has to spin fast to make power.

Power of Ecoboost means it will tow faster. But an Expedition has about half the payload of GM 1-ton van, so if you load up both with people and cargo, that 500 Tow rating advantage on paper grows quickly with larger families.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
I have a Buddy who has a Pioneer 30bh quad bunkhouse and he has an 07 Expedition EL. The thing tows the trailer very well. We have some dialing in to do on the Weight Distribution hitch, other than getting the full floating axles I don’t see much of an advantage with the Excursion.

Jeremiah

FYI - The Expedition has full-float axles too! It's a necessary part of IRS:)

You are absolutely correct!

Thanks for the clarification!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
A couple more notes on the Excursion...

The Excursion only got the 4R100 transmission, except behind the 6.0PSD. Stay away from the 6.0 unless you really like tow trucks and repairs shops.

The 4R100 can be made strong, but it's gear ratios are simply too far apart. The stock programming behind the 7.3L leaves the torque converter unlocked too much, and that's why it eats them. They hold up fine behind the V10 (mine has 482,000 miles, still haven't touched the tranny other than doing fluid about every 100k), but the ratios suck. Mine works out ok with deep gears, the Banks Powerpack, and a 5-star tune. But the 5R110 just works better especially behind the V10. And you can't get this in an Excursion. Only in the 2005 and newer E350 vans. But they are getting hard to find, since 2014 was the last year for the factory van body, and lots of folks are scooping up used V10s to convert into 4x4 camper vans. So V10s end up being a hefty premium over the V8.

2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I have a Buddy who has a Pioneer 30bh quad bunkhouse and he has an 07 Expedition EL. The thing tows the trailer very well. We have some dialing in to do on the Weight Distribution hitch, other than getting the full floating axles I don’t see much of an advantage with the Excursion.

Jeremiah

FYI - The Expedition has full-float axles too! It's a necessary part of IRS:)
2015 Ford Focus ST