Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Andrewmart

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/05/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for a vehicle for our travel trailer. My wife likes the sportsmen 301BHLE. It is 33 feet long and hitch weight of 880. Gross trailer weight is 8000. We both like the double bunk bed options and it's within our budget.


I'm hoping to get TV under 10k if possible (not sure that exists). This would likely just be used for towing trailer several times a year (10-15 times). The hard part is we have 4 children, and it would be preferable to all fit in one vehicle. I looked at the excursion but read differing opinions on whether it could tow something that big. I've also heard about getting a van but don't know where to start with that. Not opposed to getting a 3/4 ton pick up but then we'd have to take two vehicles, which is a little but of a hassle.

We currently have a F150 without HD tow package and 2017 expedition with HD tow package.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/05/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Excursion will tow a TT that weight with no issue, both V-10 and diesel.
I would also look at a Hemi powered Mega Cab. The big thing is to. Are sure it uomtomthe task and making sure it has been maintained properly. You will need to shop around for a quality $10k tow vehicle, but they are out there! Look at 2500's.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


carringb

Corvallis, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/05/20 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a surprisingly lightweight trailer for it's size. If you have 3.73 gears in the Expedition, it'll do it and be within ratings. I certainly would use a premium hitch however, like the ProPride, simply because of the amount of sail area.


Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST


Andrewmart

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/05/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

That's a surprisingly lightweight trailer for it's size. If you have 3.73 gears in the Expedition, it'll do it and be within ratings. I certainly would use a premium hitch however, like the ProPride, simply because of the amount of sail area.


I've driven it with the expedition and a husky center line hitch, and I still noticed a little swaying especially when a semi passed me. And this was going 60 and me letting off gas pedal a little...

Would the ProPride provide that much of a better ride? I'd love to use my current vehicle. I'm happy going 60 mph but would prefer not the minor sway when getting passed or on windy days.

jshupe

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/05/20 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

carringb wrote:

That's a surprisingly lightweight trailer for it's size. If you have 3.73 gears in the Expedition, it'll do it and be within ratings. I certainly would use a premium hitch however, like the ProPride, simply because of the amount of sail area.


I've driven it with the expedition and a husky center line hitch, and I still noticed a little swaying especially when a semi passed me. And this was going 60 and me letting off gas pedal a little...

Would the ProPride provide that much of a better ride? I'd love to use my current vehicle. I'm happy going 60 mph but would prefer not the minor sway when getting passed or on windy days.


Propride is a massive improvement. We didn't use Husky Centerline, but had Eaz-Lift which we swapped out for BlueOx SwayPro, then went to the Propride 3P and there was just no comparison. That, of course, was a different rig than the one in my sig.


2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn +
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow TC toad) +
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split +
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh +
Parks and generators are last resorts

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/06/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are they long trips distance wise?

A 4 door 3/4 ton with a front bench seat will handle 6 comfortably especially if they are younger and smaller. At about 10yr old, there are plenty of options that will do nicely.

A full size body on frame van is also a good option but not a lot of them around.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Andrewmart

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Are they long trips distance wise?

A 4 door 3/4 ton with a front bench seat will handle 6 comfortably especially if they are younger and smaller. At about 10yr old, there are plenty of options that will do nicely.

A full size body on frame van is also a good option but not a lot of them around.


Trips will be maybe a few hours at the most. 200-300 miles one way, with many being less than 200 miles.

ExxWhy

not here

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sold my Excursion that towed a slightly larger trailer than you have in mind. Definitely a viable option for what you want to do. Mine had 4.30 gears which helped but the more common 3.73 would be OK for 8K. I also have a ProPride hitch. Yes, they are amazing and worth it when you run into that day you have big crosswinds. Even better if you can find one used as I did.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/06/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh man I just sold my 8.1L Suburban on Thursday, would have been perfect for you.


2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!


Andrewmart

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/06/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I added a Hensley or ProPride, do you think I'll be ok? I'm reaching the upper end of our payload capacity with hitch weight and all passengers. I'll be getting an accurate hitch tongue weight later this week. We've talked about taking both vehicles. One I would tow and the other with wife and kids. It would be a hassle but save us a few thousand. Just want to make sure it's safe.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.