Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, is there any range/restriction on mileage or how old the vehicle model should be if we get a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up? In my price range, we are looking at vehicles between 2002-2008 with mileage of 170k+.

Also, this is a bit vague, but would any 2500 pull it? I would definitely look at the numbers and axle etc, but, in general, would they tow better than our expedition?

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had that trailer and that family I wouldn't look at anything but an excursion or a 3/4 or 1 ton van with seating for all. travel together its more fun that way

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was towing a TT with 4 (then 5) kids, I had a 1-ton van. Ford E-350 with 6.8L V10. My trailer was 33’ long but the 12 passenger van was a very stable towing vehicle. Comfortable to drive, and plenty of room for the family to stretch out. Plus plenty of payload capacity. Did it have the image of a truck or SUV? Heck no. Lol. People joked that I was driving a church van or prison bus. But i loved that van. Plus, pull the seats out and you can move practically anything. Finally...they are relatively inexpensive in the used market.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any 3/4 ton gas job will work. Look at the 2001-2007 GM 2500 HD 6.0 or rare 8.1, both are bullet proof. Just my thoughts.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Loofahhil

Dallas, Texas, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A perfect toilet for those who needs elegantly built to complete modern bathrooms, then get a Toto Aimes toilet https://bestflushingtoilets.org/toto-toilet/toto-aimes-toilet-reviews/ One feedback is that it is their water-efficiency and comfort that wows users. Check them out now!

* This post was edited 06/18/20 09:15pm by Loofahhil *

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newest U.S. Excursion is sixteen years old. If properly maintained...big if. Most have been beat up badly.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/806644947/overview/

I'm thinking something like this might work? It's a 2500 with 6.0.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost any vehicle can “pull” that trailer. Think “carry the weight” (payload)...tongue, hitch, people, stuff...first. Tongue weight alone will be about 1100 pounds.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Also, is there any range/restriction on mileage or how old the vehicle model should be if we get a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up? In my price range, we are looking at vehicles between 2002-2008 with mileage of 170k+.

Also, this is a bit vague, but would any 2500 pull it? I would definitely look at the numbers and axle etc, but, in general, would they tow better than our expedition?

A couple years back we picked up a nice no rust 2008 V10 F250 with 120k miles. No issues to speak of for the last 2 years. I'm sure if you do a little looking, you won't be stuck with a 2002 with 170k miles for $10k.

The biggest issue with suburbans & vans is finding them as there aren't many produced. If you can find a nice one in your price range, go for it but the 4 door pickups have largely come to dominate the RV towing market.

I think with relatively short 200 mile travel days, if you can find a 3/4 ton with a bench front seat it's a reasonable option. Then again how old are they? If they are stuck in car seats, a van/suburban isn't going to be a whole log better.

Yes even with the 3/4 ton trucks it's worth running the numbers for a specific truck. With 6 of you plus presumably bikes, firewood, etc...in the truck, it is still very much possible to exceed the payload rating of the truck

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stock to stock, the Expedition will tow better than the Excursion at the same weight. Of course, the Excursion has a higher ultimate towing capacity, but it2s stock payload is barely better than the Expedition. Plus, the modern suspension under the Expedition will drive far better the rest of the time.

Vans are great too. I have one. But E350s with the V10 are getting very hard to find without very high miles. The Express 3500 is good for trailers under 9,500 pounds, but that's barely an upgrade in tow rating over the Expedition. The Nissan NV3500 is such an overweight pig, it only matches the Expedition, while sucking down an extra 3-5 MPGs when solo. And Transits just don't have enough GCWR. And it doesn't sound like your family needs the monster payload of a full-size van.

One big problem with ultralights is the sail area, and the lack of gravity holding it down. They move around a lot more than the same size but heavier trailer. That's why a ProPride would be so advantageous.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.