Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yup. Best way to straighten a rope is to pull on it!

But then again, I grew up pulling a lot of questionable setups and trailer brakes were like the lottery. Most of the time you lost, but if you had working trailer brakes it was like you won.

That left one option to get out of a sway situation. I mean real sway, not a couple wiggles or getting pushed over the fog line for a second. That stuff just happens and it's not indicative of a greater issue typically.
If a trailer gets to swaying uncontrollably, it's like death wobble. Those that haven't experienced it dunno what it is. They think a wiggle is sway.
The only way to correct that is straighten the rope which means pull backwards with trailer brakes or pull forwards with your right foot! You accelerate until the sway stops, hope you're not going too fast for the next curve in the road and then get on the binders and get back to a slower speed....right away.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s a 100k mile V10 Excirsion for $10k in Seattle CL. Just listed.
There’s your rig, if you hurry...

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Andrewmart wrote:

carringb wrote:

That's a surprisingly lightweight trailer for it's size. If you have 3.73 gears in the Expedition, it'll do it and be within ratings. I certainly would use a premium hitch however, like the ProPride, simply because of the amount of sail area.

I've driven it with the expedition and a husky center line hitch, and I still noticed a little swaying especially when a semi passed me. And this was going 60 and me letting off gas pedal a little...

Would the ProPride provide that much of a better ride? I'd love to use my current vehicle. I'm happy going 60 mph but would prefer not the minor sway when getting passed or on windy days.
Ummmm.... Letting off of the gas pedal a little will make it more prone to sway!.

Think of your rig as a rope. if it is tight, it will be straight. It it is loose it will wiggle all over. This is why engaging the trailer brakes by themselves will straighten out sway.

Thanks for the tip!!! That is very good to know. I will stop doing that.

I went ahead and bought a ProPride 3 hitch. I'm going to try that on our 1/2 ton, but I'm also strongly considering getting a 3/4 ton truck or SUV. Leaning toward SUV so we can all ride together, and it can potentially be my daily driver... I'm planning going to go look at an Excursion and Suburban 2500 either today or tomorrow.

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Thanks! Any tips on how to judge gas vs diesel? Most of my searching says the diesel engine (especially 7.3.) will outlast the 6.0 diesel and gas by a long shot and give you better gas mileage. Any general guidelines on what is a decent mileage vs too much mileage when buying used?

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Andrew, you need to adjust your expectations of what your towing experience should be like, IMO.
Yes on the right track, bigger/heavier stiffer suspension is generally more stable, but you're not guaranteed to get that trailer isn not even there feeling.
But your lack of towing experience causes concern about a little push from a semi.

To stay within $10k and get a heavier chassis, you will give up power and alot of the creature comforts of your current rig by going to a van or 3 row SUV.
If that's the direction your headed, I'd look at 1 ton vans. Good bang for the buck in chassis strength. Or low mile gmt400 suburbans. 800s if low miles and great shape will fetch more than $10k. Same for excursions.

Sweet spot for a cheap capable 3 row seat, easy to fix, stout chassis, as reliable as any 20 year old rig can be is a 3/4 ton GMT 400 Burb.
Been a couple for sale around here. Low 100s for miles, 454 and appear to be very well kept in the $6k range.

Personally, few trips a year, I'd hook it to the Expe you have and hit the road though.

Somehow I never saw this post. I agree. I've taken it for a drive a few more times, and I'm getting more comfortable as I drive it more.

Looking into a used (new to me vehicle) is mostly for towing, but it would also serve as my daily driver. We currently have 4 kids, and I drive a supercab F150. So backseat is tight with just 3 kids in there, and I cannot even fit 4. We also have little ones, so will need strollers (sometimes double) for at least the next few years. My wife has a standard Expy, so something like a large SUV or van would let us fit all kids and strollers, etc.

It also does not hurt to get a stronger truck... [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ If it's a 6.0 don't buy it unless you're a gearhead AND you get it real cheap or it's already bulletproofed and still cheap.
If it's a 7.3 and not super high miles or a junker it will be cost more than it's worth.
V10 is where it's at unless you hop up a 7.3 for more towing power or need the fuel mileage if putting alot of miles on, IMO.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Thanks! Any tips on how to judge gas vs diesel? Most of my searching says the diesel engine (especially 7.3.) will outlast the 6.0 diesel and gas by a long shot and give you better gas mileage. Any general guidelines on what is a decent mileage vs too much mileage when buying used?

The old 7.3 diesel is awesome but they are getting a bit long in the tooth. Sold ours with 265k miles on it running great but the truck around it was falling apart.

I would avoid the 6.0 diesel unless you know the seller and he can give you full details on it being bulletproofed.

Unless you are doing a ton of miles or pushing beyond the limits, I wouldn't shy away from gas. You'll run higher RPM climbing and burn a bit more fuel but they will do the job and hold up just fine.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 7.3 PSD Excursion and a V-10. Both will tow your trailer.
Avoid the 6.0 at all cost. It has a poor history and has been problem plagued from the start.
A 7.3 will easily go 250K but you need to consider the whole truck. While the 7.3psd will out perform the V-10 At this point I would not take a 7.3 over a V-10 if the V-10 where in better shape overall.
I think your best bargain would be a V-10 passenger van.
With a large family avoid the pick up truck just not enough passenger space vs. SUV or van

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good thoughts.

Can ya'll help me understand payload capacity. I know what it is, but I'm thinking of payload in the context of Excursion vs 2500 Suburban. We are 95% sure gonna get a 3/4 ton SUV. Many people recommend the Excursion, and I agree it does look nice and I like them too. I know it has the power to easily tow my TT, but the payload is not much higher than what we have now of 1441#. Google says Excursion has payload between 1500-1900#. With our current trailer, 4 kids (who will only get bigger), 2 adults and a dog, we are gonna be getting close to it. This might also limit us from bringing along anyone else (e.g., kids' friend, MIL, etc). Compare this to the 2500 Suburban w/ a payload of 2270-2560#.

Since the Excursion is so big and powerful, is it generally ok to be a few pounds over on payload as long as the overall combined weight is within limits?

These are two in my area that I'm considering. One is a sububran and another an excursion. The suburban I like because of the higher payload but it has a lot of miles. Some of my research says a 2500 well taken care can go about 300k. Looking at the carfax, they have a lot of documented service - which I see as a good thing... https://www.cavenderchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2009-Chevrolet-Suburban-LT1-Boerne-TX/4203909883

The excursion is a few thousand more and looks well taken care of and has low miles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/812470985/overview/

Thoughts? I'm liking the excursion (although it's further away to pick up) but the payload has me concerned (hence my question above).

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say that the Excursion isn't a real vehicle (scam). The exterior certainly doesn't match the description. That is a newer body style with a 6.7 (at least badge).

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need tow vehicle - preferably under 10k
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.