Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Awning Fabric Replacement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Awning Fabric Replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 17' Dometic electric awning that needs a fabric replacement. Watching the videos, this really looks like a two to three person job and there is not two to three persons in my vicinity to do this. So repair shop it is. Question is fabric. I got five years and 35000 miles from mine before the front corner at the awning rail started to give-way. Thinking I want a better fabric. What have you guys/gals found for a better fabric?

thanks,

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my awning with one from ShadePro.net. It was $199 for the fabric for my 20' awning. Installation was another $150 or so.

It can be done with a couple people with ladders, but it just wasn't something I wished to do. I can replace mufflers on a car/truck, but I don't wish to do that either. [emoticon] I like to think of it as doing my bit to help the local economy. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

purplekeenah

greensburg, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two rigs ago I removed the old/worn-out slide out covers and took them to my local awning shop. They used the old material as templates and sewed the old cording in the new material.
SUNBRELLA was the awning material they used.

2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One mh ago I wanted the awning to be longer, on the mh not roll out farther. So i bought a longer tube and awning and moved one of the arms.
Still have the hardly used, rather short awning and tube. If anyone has a need for a short awning just ask.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought new fabric for our awning from Tough Top Awnings and are happy with the quality. They have instructions and video how to measure and they make the awning to your exact measurements. Most of the awning fabric replacements online come from China.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acrylic is the way to go. Pricey but lasts for ever. The 5 Acrylic awnings on our Bounder are 23 years old and are still in good shape.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Awning Fabric Replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.