Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Basic questions about Class B's
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Basic questions about Class B's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I notice most class B's have small FW tanks and very little storage. For those that dry camp how do you carry extra water? Also are there any class B's made with a slide and some kind of basement storage?
It can actually be fun to figure out how to camp with limited water/storage....

We bring a few gallon jugs of water stored under the bed for cooking and possible emergencies. We don't bring lots of unnecessary stuff to set up camp - no pink flamingos, etc...

X2 Most of our camping is boondocking, and we can normally go about a week. We go to enjoy what's out there, not set up house. The 'B' has been perfect for us.

2001 RoadTrek 190

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Jayco

I think you might be able to expand your options in a small class C. Really not much bigger than a class B but you'd be able to get a slide
You can get a slide in a B from Winnebago but it does block access to the rear of the coach when not deployed. Quite frankly, having had slides, it’s nice not having one [emoticon]. No slide getting stuck worries and fitting into normal width parking spots is pretty cool.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob_nestor wrote:

Ed_Gee wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I notice most class B's have small FW tanks and very little storage. For those that dry camp how do you carry extra water? Also are there any class B's made with a slide and some kind of basement storage?

A class B is essentially a modified van chassis.....so no under storage to speak of and certainly no slide. The next step would be a small class C which would be a manufactured coach body placed on a CUTAWAY van chassis.

That depends on the model/manufacturer. I had a Roadtrek 210 Popular which is a Class B and it had quite a bit of outside under storage. About 1/2 my camping was dry camping with it and I could go about a week between dumps and water fill ups; 3 days when I was camping with a friend. One just needs to adjust to the storage available. Coming from tent camping I found the storage quite adequate and I actually camped comfortably a couple of summers in it. My general rule is if I have something in the RV that hasn't been used in the last 3 camping trips, it's not necessary and it comes out of the RV.
I just looked at that model online, 36 gals of FW, 1400lbs CCC, 7000 lbs tow rating and 1000 lbs tongue weight. Those are good specs for a 21 ft B. Also someone mentioned to add a rack in the back receiver for extra storage with 1000 lbs tongue rating that is a lot of stuff. I did not see the outside under storage on the 2020 model. hard to tell from their pictures. 60 gals of FW last me and my wife 7 days so I can live with 36 plus a 4 gal container in that B.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

pasusan wrote:

Gjac wrote:

We bring a few gallon jugs of water stored under the bed for cooking and possible emergencies. We don't bring lots of unnecessary stuff to set up camp - no pink flamingos, etc...

X2 Most of our camping is boondocking, and we can normally go about a week. We go to enjoy what's out there, not set up house. The 'B' has been perfect for us.
Do you carry extra water with you? I see the 190 has 31 gals of FW. Do you use wood block to level your 190?

Songbirds

Whereever I lay my head

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

Gjac wrote:

A class B is essentially a modified van chassis.....so no under storage to speak of and certainly no slide. The next step would be a small class C which would be a manufactured coach body placed on a CUTAWAY van chassis.

Here is a 2016 model with all that your asking for but is a class B+ Here is a link. 2016 Renegade good luck

Rolling along singing a song in my RV. Because I'm me and free-rolling along the highways, meeting new friends who like me are FREE rolling along in our RVs with me on a new road every day. Sweet is the smells outdoors in my RV. Just rolling along.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MY Class B has 34 gallons fresh water!

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

MY Class B has 34 gallons fresh water!
What make and model Class B do you have? I don't see it in your profile.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're on Facebook you might consider joining the Travato Owners and Wannabees group (it's a private group). The overwhelming majority of those people pride themselves on their ability to boondock for extended periods of time. Some carry extra water, others don't. DH and I aren't into roughing it or depriving ourselves by constantly fretting over water usage, but we have no problem boondocking for a couple of nights in a row.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Jayco

I think you might be able to expand your options in a small class C. Really not much bigger than a class B but you'd be able to get a slide

I sure hope the "60 x 70" inch queen bed size is a typo - I'm not spending 100k+ and have Ed's feet hanging off the bed about a foot! LOL! Otherwise - nice floorplan!

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Trekkar wrote:

pasusan wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Do you carry extra water with you? I see the 190 has 31 gals of FW. Do you use wood block to level your 190?

We normally carry a couple of gallon jugs of water with us. I have a set leveling blocks, but I've only need them a couple of times. Another perk of a small 'B' is you can move around in the site until you're level.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Basic questions about Class B's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.