Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Rear View Camera
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear View Camera

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
jdcellarmod

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

Anybody use one? If so, Is it beneficial? Main reason to have one is to keep an eye on vehicles. Using it for backing up would come in handy.

Thanks, Jeff D

2020 Arctic Fox 865
2015 Ford F350 SB 6.7 Diesel
Upper and Lower Stable Loads
2021 Nitro Z18

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added one and use it with my factory camera system. Mine is from Camera Source. I wish I had gotten one with the long cable, so I could mount it at the top of my camper to see over a trailer. However, mine works fine any other time. Mine does not come on driving down the road. It is helpful every once in a while backing up like getting pretty close to the back of a camping space or parking space..

You do have to remember to unplug it or plug it back in when you take the camper off. If you want to watch vehicles behind you going down the road, I think you’ll need an aftermarket system. Many of those (maybe all) will run all of the time they are on since they don’t know if you are in forward or reverse.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

swhunter

SF, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am glad you asked this question.
I am interested in what info others share. Don't mean to hijack your thread. I have a 2000 F350 which came out before pickups came with cameras. My camper isn't wired for camera. I would like a camera that I can see the trailer behind me while I tow. I have been researching and I am trying to figure out if I can go wireless so I won't have to run wires through the camper. I apologize if I shouldn't post within your thread. If am in the wrong let me know and I will post separately
Thanks,
Swhunter

toddb

az

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have sync check out lockpick for sync, PAC also has a device to add cameras. I have 2 rear and a front.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a wireless back up camera on the back of my 5th wheel. It could be wire to always be on but I don't see the need for that.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed this one from Amazon during the off season for my 31 ft. trailer. It works great sitting underneath the carport. Looking forward to the first tow next week. It is wireless and was an easy install. The field of view looks sufficient to cover some blind spots. Maybe I'll check back in a week.

AMTIFO FHD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera,Hitch Camera with 7'' DVR Monitor Support Split/Quard Screen for Pickups,Trucks,Trailers,RV,5th Wheels High-Speed Observation System

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check out RV cams.com, I bought a system from them for the TC. The monitor had two channels so I mounted a second camera on the truck pointed at the hitch.Also so I don't forget to unplug the TC camera I placed the connection next to the camper plug..

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim thanks for the link to Camera Source. I've only had this truck going on 3 weeks and am already loving the back up camera. Would be great to have a camera that connects to the OEM harness when the tailgate is off! I've got mine bookmarked and on the build list for the Lance 811!

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got mine from Camera Source as well for my 2020 F-350. Super easy. Disconnect OEM to take off tailgate and plug in the new one. Quick mount to the license plate.

I like the fact it uses the same in-dash screen, no second screen.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was gifted a Garmin Overlander and there is a wireless camera option for it. I bought it separately and wired it to an indoor light and mounted it inside, centered high in a back window. I have not had glare or headlights impact the image in the screen, which is on demand. Great for checking on a towed Jeep.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear View Camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.