Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: replace RV entrance door hinges?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> replace RV entrance door hinges?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jodeb720

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did this last fall.
The kids used the screen door as a hand rail and after pulling it enough times, the pot metal failed.
I found the replacement on the Lippert website, and got it a week or so later.
As others have said, I punched the center of each rivet, drilled it out with a very small drill bit - as a pilot hole, and then increase the bits until I could see the entire rivet.

Then took a punch an pushed it into the frame and it was done.

When I reinstalled, I used Pop Rivets and found some of the holes didn't line up. Drilled new holes in the door and the hinge.

If you have a 4-1/2" grinder, I would grind off the heads instead of drilling them out. You're less apt to make a mistake and it comes off much faster.

I did it at my RV storage place with my drill and rivet gun. It took me about 90 minutes for the hinges on frame and door.

Take your time and it's not difficult.

josh

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jodeb720 wrote:

As others have said, I punched the center of each rivet, drilled it out with a very small drill bit - as a pilot hole, and then increase the bits until I could see the entire rivet.

Then took a punch an pushed it into the frame and it was done.

If you have a 4-1/2" grinder, I would grind off the heads instead of drilling them out. You're less apt to make a mistake and it comes off much faster.

In this (and similar) cases, I just started with a largeish drill bit, larger than the shaft of the rivet, and drill until the exposed head is detached from the shaft. Any excess drilling just chews up a bit of the flap of the hinge you're replacing anyhow. Of course, once headless, the body of the rivet has to be removed from the other side; or, in this case, pushed into the void of whatever is beyond the doorframe with a punch or whatever.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> replace RV entrance door hinges?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.