cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Out of Country medical insurance - Covid-19

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, have any Canadians on here talked to their insurance company about getting coverage for the 2020/21 season?
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website
12 REPLIES 12

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
Reisender wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Reisender wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:
In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, have any Canadians on here talked to their insurance company about getting coverage for the 2020/21 season?

Currently Medipac and Bluecross have statements on their websites that excludes Covid from being covered. If that's the case in September I guess we won't be going. Based on the way things are going down there we're not going to gamble.

Yep same with us and everybody we have talked to. Even if they sort out the insurance thing many are hesitant to go until they see what happens on the election. There is a lot of pent up hate and unrest going on right now in the USA. It might be best to see how the election affects things. Our backup plan is southern Spain.

You bring up a good point. Things are really crazy now. Everyone is on a short fuse. I have heard Spain and Portugal are great places, but would not work for us. My wife would never leave our dog for that long!

Weren't Spain and Portugal some of the hardest hit places for the virus?

Spain was hit hard. Portugal not so much. But the worst is over there now. Both Italy and Spain have active plans for reopoening the tourism industry. The snowbird season is particularly important for Spain. Half of Europe is there in the winter. :).

No extra insurance needed for Spain (or most of Europe) as well, as health care procedures are roughly the same cost as Canada. Just get DETAILED receipts and have a 20,000 dollar credit card limit and your good to go until you get the money back from Health Canada via your provincial plan. We do pay for a repatriation policy though. Gets you medically assisted travel back to Canada if needed. We havenโ€™t needed that yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm in Ontario. No provincial plan any more. It didn't cover much anyway. What province are you in that pays you back?
I wouldn't travel anywhere without some sort of emergency medical coverage. Since we don't fly any more, we won't be heading to Europe any time soon.

Probably a misunderstanding here. Canada health covers you anywhere in the world as long as the expense doesnโ€™t exceed that which is allotted to it in Canada. In your case Canada health is administered by OHIP. Hereโ€™s an example. Letโ€™s say you have a heart attack and need a bypass. In Canada, depending on the province, the cost will be somewhere around 11000 dollars including hospital care of x amount of days plus the surgeon etc. If it happens in Spain and you get the procedure done it will cost you a comparable amount. In Germany it will be about 30 percent more than Spain. France is in between. Etc etc. Letโ€™s say you are in Germany and it costs you 15000 dollars. Canada (thru your provincial administrator or OHIP for you) will pay up to the amount it would have costs in Canada. You have to submit your receipts to OHIP directly. Takes awhile. Now if you have it done in the USA it could cost you north of 150,000 dollars. You are on the hook for anything north of what Canada will pay. This is why you need travel insurance like medical when travelling to the US. The bill goes to Medipac. Medipac does the leg work and submits the bill to health Canada (via the province) and pays the rest.

For the most part, if you have the slush fund, travel insurance in Europe isnโ€™t needed. I highly recommend buying a repatriation insurance policy for travel though. I reiterate though. It takes awhile (at least in BC) to get your funds back and you donโ€™t know what you are getting until it shows up in your account.

Ah, BC? I think things are done differently in the land of milk and honey.
To the best of my knowledge, OHIP recommends carrying emergency medical insurance for costs incurred outside the province. They never really covered much to begin with, so we do carry extra coverage, as we cross the border regularly, except under the current draconian restrictions and border closing.
https://www.coverme.com/blog/travel/upcoming-changes-to-ohip.html?province=ON&agecode=0

Yah. Every province recommends carrying extra health insurance when travelling but it becomes particularly necessary when travelling to the US. Not so much in Europe. Ontario follows the same rules as all the other provinces and teritorries. Health care is federally funded and provincially administrated so Ontario still has to abide by the rules of the Canada health act. We used to be ontarians so still have the links for the pertinent documents should you need them. If you are only going to the states though the situation should never come up as you will more than likely be purchasing emergency or travel health insurance. They look after all the paperwork with the province if you have a claim. Keeps it simple.

Cheers.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Reisender wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

Currently Medipac and Bluecross have statements on their websites that excludes Covid from being covered. If that's the case in September I guess we won't be going. Based on the way things are going down there we're not going to gamble.

Yep same with us and everybody we have talked to. Even if they sort out the insurance thing many are hesitant to go until they see what happens on the election. There is a lot of pent up hate and unrest going on right now in the USA. It might be best to see how the election affects things. Our backup plan is southern Spain.

You bring up a good point. Things are really crazy now. Everyone is on a short fuse. I have heard Spain and Portugal are great places, but would not work for us. My wife would never leave our dog for that long!

Spain was hit hard. Portugal not so much. But the worst is over there now. Both Italy and Spain have active plans for reopoening the tourism industry. The snowbird season is particularly important for Spain. Half of Europe is there in the winter. :).

No extra insurance needed for Spain (or most of Europe) as well, as health care procedures are roughly the same cost as Canada. Just get DETAILED receipts and have a 20,000 dollar credit card limit and your good to go until you get the money back from Health Canada via your provincial plan. We do pay for a repatriation policy though. Gets you medically assisted travel back to Canada if needed. We havenโ€™t needed that yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm in Ontario. No provincial plan any more. It didn't cover much anyway. What province are you in that pays you back?
I wouldn't travel anywhere without some sort of emergency medical coverage. Since we don't fly any more, we won't be heading to Europe any time soon.

Probably a misunderstanding here. Canada health covers you anywhere in the world as long as the expense doesnโ€™t exceed that which is allotted to it in Canada. In your case Canada health is administered by OHIP. Hereโ€™s an example. Letโ€™s say you have a heart attack and need a bypass. In Canada, depending on the province, the cost will be somewhere around 11000 dollars including hospital care of x amount of days plus the surgeon etc. If it happens in Spain and you get the procedure done it will cost you a comparable amount. In Germany it will be about 30 percent more than Spain. France is in between. Etc etc. Letโ€™s say you are in Germany and it costs you 15000 dollars. Canada (thru your provincial administrator or OHIP for you) will pay up to the amount it would have costs in Canada. You have to submit your receipts to OHIP directly. Takes awhile. Now if you have it done in the USA it could cost you north of 150,000 dollars. You are on the hook for anything north of what Canada will pay. This is why you need travel insurance like medical when travelling to the US. The bill goes to Medipac. Medipac does the leg work and submits the bill to health Canada (via the province) and pays the rest.

For the most part, if you have the slush fund, travel insurance in Europe isnโ€™t needed. I highly recommend buying a repatriation insurance policy for travel though. I reiterate though. It takes awhile (at least in BC) to get your funds back and you donโ€™t know what you are getting until it shows up in your account.

Ah, BC? I think things are done differently in the land of milk and honey.
To the best of my knowledge, OHIP recommends carrying emergency medical insurance for costs incurred outside the province. They never really covered much to begin with, so we do carry extra coverage, as we cross the border regularly, except under the current draconian restrictions and border closing.
https://www.coverme.com/blog/travel/upcoming-changes-to-ohip.html?province=ON&agecode=0
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
Reisender wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

I hear ya. Itโ€™s a long plane ride for a chihuahua. Lots to consider. We have spent lots of time in Spain and Portugal. Fantastic. If we went we would spend 3 months in Spain and maybe a month or so in Morroco. Also one of our favourite spots. Like I say. Have to wait and see.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
spud1957 wrote:
bjbear wrote:

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the way things are going down here? Crummy is how itโ€™s going. NPR reports...

โ€œIn California, counties are continuing to allow businesses to reopen even as newly confirmed coronavirus cases climb. The state experienced a 40% jump in cases over the last week. Large metro areas like Los Angeles and San Francisco have gradually lifted restrictions and Californians have responded by traveling to beaches and neighboring areas, blurring the effectiveness of the varying degrees of restrictions between adjacent counties. Los Angeles County, home to more than 10 million people, has the highest number of cases in the state. Numbers tracked by NPR show that, on average, health officials report around 1,300 new cases daily. The county has blamed slow lab results for a backlog, while acknowledging that community transmission has been ticking up, especially among communities of color.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Someone will eventually cover it in some way, to sell policies. Or, people will just get what's available, and go south anyway.

The only issue I can see would be if Canada has a travel warning in effect for the USA, your coverage will probably not help you at all, if something happens. Most emerg medical policies have that caveat in them.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS