Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Out of Country medical insurance - Covid-19
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Out of Country medical insurance - Covid-19

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, have any Canadians on here talked to their insurance company about getting coverage for the 2020/21 season?

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bjbear wrote:

In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, have any Canadians on here talked to their insurance company about getting coverage for the 2020/21 season?

Currently Medipac and Bluecross have statements on their websites that excludes Covid from being covered. If that's the case in September I guess we won't be going. Based on the way things are going down there we're not going to gamble.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone will eventually cover it in some way, to sell policies. Or, people will just get what's available, and go south anyway.

The only issue I can see would be if Canada has a travel warning in effect for the USA, your coverage will probably not help you at all, if something happens. Most emerg medical policies have that caveat in them.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on the way things are going down here? Crummy is how it’s going. NPR reports...

“In California, counties are continuing to allow businesses to reopen even as newly confirmed coronavirus cases climb. The state experienced a 40% jump in cases over the last week. Large metro areas like Los Angeles and San Francisco have gradually lifted restrictions and Californians have responded by traveling to beaches and neighboring areas, blurring the effectiveness of the varying degrees of restrictions between adjacent counties. Los Angeles County, home to more than 10 million people, has the highest number of cases in the state. Numbers tracked by NPR show that, on average, health officials report around 1,300 new cases daily. The county has blamed slow lab results for a backlog, while acknowledging that community transmission has been ticking up, especially among communities of color.”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

bjbear wrote:

Currently Medipac and Bluecross have statements on their websites that excludes Covid from being covered. If that's the case in September I guess we won't be going. Based on the way things are going down there we're not going to gamble.

Yep same with us and everybody we have talked to. Even if they sort out the insurance thing many are hesitant to go until they see what happens on the election. There is a lot of pent up hate and unrest going on right now in the USA. It might be best to see how the election affects things. Our backup plan is southern Spain.

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

bjbear wrote:

Yep same with us and everybody we have talked to. Even if they sort out the insurance thing many are hesitant to go until they see what happens on the election. There is a lot of pent up hate and unrest going on right now in the USA. It might be best to see how the election affects things. Our backup plan is southern Spain.

You bring up a good point. Things are really crazy now. Everyone is on a short fuse. I have heard Spain and Portugal are great places, but would not work for us. My wife would never leave our dog for that long!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bjbear wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

bjbear wrote:

You bring up a good point. Things are really crazy now. Everyone is on a short fuse. I have heard Spain and Portugal are great places, but would not work for us. My wife would never leave our dog for that long!

Weren't Spain and Portugal some of the hardest hit places for the virus?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bjbear wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

bjbear wrote:

I hear ya. It’s a long plane ride for a chihuahua. Lots to consider. We have spent lots of time in Spain and Portugal. Fantastic. If we went we would spend 3 months in Spain and maybe a month or so in Morroco. Also one of our favourite spots. Like I say. Have to wait and see.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

bjbear wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

bjbear wrote:

Spain was hit hard. Portugal not so much. But the worst is over there now. Both Italy and Spain have active plans for reopoening the tourism industry. The snowbird season is particularly important for Spain. Half of Europe is there in the winter. [emoticon].

No extra insurance needed for Spain (or most of Europe) as well, as health care procedures are roughly the same cost as Canada. Just get DETAILED receipts and have a 20,000 dollar credit card limit and your good to go until you get the money back from Health Canada via your provincial plan. We do pay for a repatriation policy though. Gets you medically assisted travel back to Canada if needed. We haven’t needed that yet. [emoticon]

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

bjbear wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

bjbear wrote:

Spain was hit hard. Portugal not so much. But the worst is over there now. Both Italy and Spain have active plans for reopoening the tourism industry. The snowbird season is particularly important for Spain. Half of Europe is there in the winter. [emoticon].

No extra insurance needed for Spain (or most of Europe) as well, as health care procedures are roughly the same cost as Canada. Just get DETAILED receipts and have a 20,000 dollar credit card limit and your good to go until you get the money back from Health Canada via your provincial plan. We do pay for a repatriation policy though. Gets you medically assisted travel back to Canada if needed. We haven’t needed that yet. [emoticon]

I'm in Ontario. No provincial plan any more. It didn't cover much anyway. What province are you in that pays you back?
I wouldn't travel anywhere without some sort of emergency medical coverage. Since we don't fly any more, we won't be heading to Europe any time soon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Out of Country medical insurance - Covid-19
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.