Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Mach A/C Fan Motor - Interesting Find

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Just wanted to share this bit of info. I have a 2013 Jayco with the original Coleman Mach 15K air conditioner that I have been using full time since new. Parked here in SE New Mexico the A/C gets a workout in the summer. This year I began to hear some complaints from the fan motor and realized that replacement time was coming. Started the search and found that pretty much everything out there was much the same and decided on a Fasco replacement. Ordered and got it with no issues. In the mean time, my original was complaining more and more so I was trying to keep it going for a few more days until I could manage the work to change it.

Everything that I had read was telling me that these motors had simple bronze sleeve bearings in then and that adding lube would only delay the inevitable need to replace. The replacement Fasco motor had sleeve bearings in the specifications. Anyway, while trying to lube my original it just did not feel like sleeve bearings - it felt like a dry/failing ball bearing but I tried to add some oil anyway.

Original finally failed the night before I had to go to the office so I had to leave things off the next day. Got back at the end of the day and it was only 102, both outside and inside. Opened everything up and tried to let the breeze though to cool things down which did work - brought it down to the 80s by sunset. Changed the motor easily and A/C is working great again.

Today I decided to open up the original motor to look at the failure mechanism and found what I suspected - real sealed ball bearings at both ends. The inner one had just apparently decided to give up after 7 hard summers.

The rest of the motor is in great shape so I am planning to replace the bearings and keep this one as a spare.

I guess that the Zhongshan Broad-Ocean Motor Co., Ltd build a pretty nice motor back in the day.

Just thought I would share a success story and an unexpected find.

Terry
2 REPLIES 2

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
The feeling was nice, I ordered two new bearings based on the number on the original, got them ..... and then the disappointment started. They did not fit. The bearing bore dia was 12mm and the shaft was 12.7mm or 1/2 inch.

Continued research found that these bearings are "special" metric bearings with essentially a 1/2" or 12.7mm bore.

Found some inexpensive ones from China - ordering now, we will see if they work. More to come.

Terry

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know Terry. I bet the feeling of accomplishment was pretty nice. ๐Ÿ™‚