cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel hitch height trick

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is nothing exciting but its a little slow around here plus this is a handy trick for those of us who do not have the self leveling option with the hitch height memory. Anyway I keep a pair of these pull type (not ratchet) straps in the fifth wheel and when I unhitch I simply hang this on the pin box and pull the strap until it just touches the ground BEFORE I raise or lower for leveling. When we are ready to leave I simply rehang it back and raise or lower it until it just touches the ground again and we have the exact height where we unhitched. Again nothing exciting but a simple, quick and effective trick.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
6 REPLIES 6

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
voodoo101 wrote:
I have for years used a bubble level on the side of the trailer, near the jack power. I has a sliding marker that lets me mark the height when I unhook. I then go to level and return the bubble to the marker to re-hitch. Quick, easy and reliable. I just looked at bubble levels now available on line and none seem to have this obvious option.

I've used the same thing on each of the 5er's we've had. Used to be able to buy them at CW but it appears they no longer offer them. We got another trailer about a month ago and it has the Bigfoot leveling system. I'd hoped it would have the hookup memory function but it appears not to. I was able to find the level with the sliding marker on eBay.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I have for years used a bubble level on the side of the trailer, near the jack power. I has a sliding marker that lets me mark the height when I unhook. I then go to level and return the bubble to the marker to re-hitch. Quick, easy and reliable. I just looked at bubble levels now available on line and none seem to have this obvious option.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would get me close, but when I unhitch, the trailer is pretty level with the hitch, with most of the weight off the truck. When I hook back up I always have the trailer lower than the hitch so it slides up the hitch slightly. Plus I let the air out of the truck air bags before unhitching, and add air after hitching, So it would still take adjusting. Usually not that big a deal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL. Dad had a beaded chain, like hold a stopper, or pulled light switch, and a magnetic clip. But that was back in '85.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy I like it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Hey Dan,

Thats a GREAT, easy idea for anyone who does not have that feature ! Thanks for posting !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet