Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth wheel hitch height trick
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fifth wheel hitch height trick

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is nothing exciting but its a little slow around here plus this is a handy trick for those of us who do not have the self leveling option with the hitch height memory. Anyway I keep a pair of these pull type (not ratchet) straps in the fifth wheel and when I unhitch I simply hang this on the pin box and pull the strap until it just touches the ground BEFORE I raise or lower for leveling. When we are ready to leave I simply rehang it back and raise or lower it until it just touches the ground again and we have the exact height where we unhitched. Again nothing exciting but a simple, quick and effective trick.

Dan
[image]

* This post was edited 06/08/20 08:19pm by Hammerboy *

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dan,

Thats a GREAT, easy idea for anyone who does not have that feature ! Thanks for posting !

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy I like it.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. Dad had a beaded chain, like hold a stopper, or pulled light switch, and a magnetic clip. But that was back in '85.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would get me close, but when I unhitch, the trailer is pretty level with the hitch, with most of the weight off the truck. When I hook back up I always have the trailer lower than the hitch so it slides up the hitch slightly. Plus I let the air out of the truck air bags before unhitching, and add air after hitching, So it would still take adjusting. Usually not that big a deal.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

voodoo101

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have for years used a bubble level on the side of the trailer, near the jack power. I has a sliding marker that lets me mark the height when I unhook. I then go to level and return the bubble to the marker to re-hitch. Quick, easy and reliable. I just looked at bubble levels now available on line and none seem to have this obvious option.

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

voodoo101 wrote:

I have for years used a bubble level on the side of the trailer, near the jack power. I has a sliding marker that lets me mark the height when I unhook. I then go to level and return the bubble to the marker to re-hitch. Quick, easy and reliable. I just looked at bubble levels now available on line and none seem to have this obvious option.

I've used the same thing on each of the 5er's we've had. Used to be able to buy them at CW but it appears they no longer offer them. We got another trailer about a month ago and it has the Bigfoot leveling system. I'd hoped it would have the hookup memory function but it appears not to. I was able to find the level with the sliding marker on eBay.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fifth wheel hitch height trick
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.