Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houston Texas to Montana

Houston_Camping
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all-

So, planning a trip from Houston to Livingston MT this July. We’ll be staying (parking RV) with family, so we’re good there. The furthest North we’ve ever driven the RV is to Durango, CO. Not used to driving in the mountains and not very experienced with that. My question is... what is the best route to take once out of Texas? With the least amount of steep or narrow mountain roads. This is our first trip there and really don’t know what to expect road wise. Pretty used to southern flat roads with a small hill or two.

Thanks for any tips!
Have a safe trip!

Joey & Nick
2006 Lexington GTS 270S
"The Dragonfly Inn"
6 REPLIES 6

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for GizmosMom's post.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to suggest a different route which avoids Denver and is not so much a route that has Interstate driving. But it will take a little more time.

Take I-45 north to the Waxahachie exit which is Highway 287.
Follow 287 northwest through Fort Worth (or go around FW depending on the time of day).
Stay on north 287 in Colorado.
Near Limon take highway 71 north to Brush
In Brush switch over to Highway 34 through Greeley.
Then get on I-25 to I-90 and then on to Livingston.

You could also follow the first part of this route to Vernon, Texas. Then take 283 all the way up to Nebraska and then take Interstate 80.

I enjoy the US and state highways.

These routes are pretty flat except in Montana and you will avoid the traffic and tolls near Denver.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Interstates will be the least stressful. A lot of driving, so if you've got time built in, here are a few places to stop and stretch your legs:
Archway. I-80 Kearney NE

Little Bighorn Battlefield (if they've re-opened)

Cheyenne Welcome Center
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate 35 to I80 to I25 to I90 to Livingston. We have traveled this route north from Kerrville area to Montana and northward to Alaska a couple times. No terrible climbs but it's uphill all the way. ELE 4501 at Livingston.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Livingston is 4,500 feet in elevation and near Bozeman Pass which is 5,700 feet. To enjoy your trip and see the great state of Montana you’ll need to do some mountain driving. No superhuman talents needed just a few very basic concepts that anyone can master. Read up and watch some YouTube videos. Experience comes from trying the inexperienced after study.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on the interstate.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE