cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget to outfit new 5th wheel?

Rye_a
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone give me an idea of how much I should budget to outfit a new fifth wheel toy hauler? While I know the sky’s the limit, I’m wondering about basics such as water/sewer hoses, leveling blocks, and whatever other non-discretionary basics a person needs.
10 REPLIES 10

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends where you buy everything. I bought all new power adapters from Amazon for half what rv store wanted and same brand.
Shop smart and save money.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Really don’t matter, because when you get where you are going there will be one thing you need that you don’t have. lol

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
camp in the driveway, write down everything you need to go get. this will give you an idea what you need. you could spend thousands you could likely spend a few hundred and be fine. depends what you have, need to get and where you will get it. my fist camper was outfitted from thrift stores for next to nothing.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go figure $2K & don't be surprised when you go over. All of that stuff, outside & inside, adds up very quickly especially if you try to go cheap & buy something not up to the job which has to be replaced with what should have been bought in the first place.

First time needs extend far beyond hose, leveling devices, power adapters basics.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Make a list of the things you need and the things you want. Make the budget for the things you want and spend whatever is necessary on quality items that you need. Otherwise, it could come to "sorry kids, we are over budget on camper items, and can't buy wheel chocks - camping in our new RV will have to wait".
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is this a question?
If you can get on RVnet, you can probably use google or amazon and price up what you need.
This question is as subjective as any.
A Wally World water hose, sewer hose and some scrap wood blocks and possibly a power cord adapter is all you “need.”
What you “want “ may be totally different.
I’ll go $100 and your set. Less if you steal your neighbors garden hose tonight!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Every new camper we bought came with a poop hose and a cheap water hose so if you park on level ground you don't need anything.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twice as much as you were hoping on the high side.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toy hauler I'll assume 3 axle.
Leveling blocks 3 options.
1st - 2 or 3 2x6's long enough for 3 axles to sit on.
2nd - 3 or 4 packs of links levelers at $30 each.
3rd - 3 Andersen Levelers at $40 each.

Drinking water hose 25 foot- $25 to $60 X 2 depending on quality.
Sewer hose - 20 foot kit $45

So less than $300 for the basics.
After the basics you get into chairs, splitting maul, hatchet, pretty lights for the awning, extension cord, fan because the wife is miserable when she's hot, AWNING TIE DOWN KIT!!!, outdoor rug, pool noodle for slide out above storage door, fire poker, etc.

Edit: Adding wheel chocks about $8 a piece at Wally World for the yellow plastic ones. Check the date code on them. They do expire.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Are you including interior stuff like kitchen equipment and supplies? Bedding? Laundry?

Or just basic steup and hookup needs? Chocks, leveling blocks, ground pads, levels, power, water, sewer? Where will it be used? Dependable power and water supply or is protection needed?

Do you have basic heavy tools? 12 Ton hydraulic jack and portable air compressor? Tire changing tools including breaker bar?

Just for exterior basics you are probably looking at between $1200 and $2500 without going top-of-the-line on anything. Interior is a whole nother deal!!

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"