Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sink and toilet cleaning products
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sink and toilet cleaning products

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
albow

Harpersville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife cleaned our toilet the other day and it got me to thinking. Do general household toilet and sink cleaning products like Scrubbing bubbles, etc., interfere with your holding tank chemicals in the black and grey tanks? FYI, our camper sits in a lakeside campground most of the summer and we generally use the campground bathhouse for bathing and dirty duties, so we rarely have to empty the tanks until pulling out for the year and usually don't have to add any chemical either.

Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are thinking that holding tanks are anything except HOLDING tanks you are overthinking. RVs don’t have septic systems.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would you need to clean a sink and toilet you're not using?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have her use a good car paste wax when she is done. it will be much easier the next time

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your question: "Do general household toilet and sink cleaning products like Scrubbing bubbles, etc., interfere with your holding tank chemicals in the black and grey tanks?", I would say no.
My wife has done the same for over 20 years on all of our MH's and no issues so far.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had any problem using Soft Scrub with bleach or Soft Scrub with lemon.

albow

Harpersville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the last 2 answers got it. For clarity for you others, no, I didn't think it was like a septic system at home. I wondered if the cleaning chemicals rendered the holding tank chemicals ineffective. Also, we use the toilet, we just don't poop in it and similar products are used to clean the sinks, which we neither poop nor pee in (at least not yet), but food waste, grease, etc. sure can make a helluva stink.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, in 4 years I have not used anything other than Lysol wipes to clean everything. Cleans the toilet, sink, shower with ease. I have used Windex on the windows. But no cleaning products that need to go down the drain. Since we don't live in the RV and are only there a few days at a time, everything just wipes up...

cj99

Tonopah,AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SO looking at doing a good black and gray tank cleaning being I live in my RV ( for out of town work ) 75 % of the year. Anyway been using once a month vinegar in the black tank a few days before dumping it. But was thinking has anyone been using CLR ?? and what ratio .
Chad

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They will interfere with the breakdown cycle. Your tanks are holding tanks and nothing more. Waste starts to break down etc, but really you dump before most of that happens. Now where it goes after that is the issue. Despite every detergent company under the sun saying you have to have all these harsh chemicals,they actually kill the bacteria that breakdown waste and stress septic systems. So, will it harm your system in your RV? No. But they aren't good for the septic systems you dump into. Vinegar and lemon are excellent for cleaning most anything and aren't as harmful to the necessary bacteria.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sink and toilet cleaning products
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.