cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you leave MH plugged in for power at home?

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Just asking. Is it OK to leave MH plugged in when stored at home? I use a 20 amp outlet and an extension cord, but wondered if it is Ok to leave it for extended periods of time.

Thanks,
Ezgoinโ€™
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
15 REPLIES 15

jumanjii1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays plugged in all the time. Keeps the batteries charged. Plus I start it every so often and hang out in it and watch TV, you know, to give the misses a break. I did lose the start battery, found a parasitic drain that killed it. Found a stupid relay under the sofa that went to the DC TV's once upon a time. It was still energized. I unplugged it, no problem.

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
whether in storage or at home it has plugged in continually for 18 years.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Just put in AGM batteries several months ago. Have replaced the batteries about every five years as preventive maintenance.

Never had a battery failure so far but I was tired of always having to add water.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ArchHoagland wrote:
Mine has been plugged in by my house for 12 years. So far, so good.

You need to check your batteries for water once a month or so.
Are you on the same set of batteries for the last 12 years?

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have always done that in one form or another. As previously noted, you'll need to verify you have a converter that won't overcharge your batteries. Regardless what converter you have, its a good idea to keep an eye on your batteries water/acid level and occasionally top it off when its plugged in all the time.

When I lived in an apartment temporarily about 2 years ago and could not keep it plugged up to power, I had to make it a point to crank up the generator and run it for an hour or two about once a week to keep the batteries charged. If I did not, the house batteries would drain and have issues.

Every house I've owned (total of 3 now), one of the first things I've done is had an electrician install an RV outlet for the Motorhome. We just moved last month back to NC, and just had a 30 amp outlet installed at the new house here. Would have preferred a 50 amp like had at the previous house in Georgia, but that proved way too costly.

If you just want to keep the batteries charged and won't need to run air conditioners inside, then there is no need to install a 30 or 50 amp outlet - You can just use adapters to plug into a regular 110V outlet. Did that for a while, too, before I got the RV outlet installed. However, here in the South where it gets really hot in the summer, I like to be able to run the air conditioners when loading/unloading the Motorhome or working on stuff inside it, in which case you need a 30 or 50 amp outlet.d
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
24/7 when not on the road.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devocamper wrote:
Depends on your inverter / charger , if you have a 3 stage that will adjust your charge rate and not boil off your batteries then it Should not be a problem leaving the power connected . If not then you would need to keep an eye on your batteries to prevent boiling off the water again that is if your running wet cell style batteries.

Just so you know.. I think any RV made this century (Which means 2001 or later. not 2000 though it would be a very low end in 2000) you should have a decent converter.

1980's you might get a Magnetek 6300.. (Very bad) known for killing batteries fast.

but Parallex bought out Magnetek if I'm not mistaken and did a few "Upgrades" so

Parallex 7300: Single stage good regulation may be left plugged in but the first time check batteries both voltage and fluid level (if flooded wet cells) from time to time. Voltage daily for the first 2 or 3 weeks should do it)

Parallex 7300T: This unit has a TIMED boost period (T for Two or Timer) slightly better.

WFCO this unit has a high failure rate but when it's workign it's a good 3 stage (Boost/Absorption/Float) when it "Fails" Well see note below but usually it fails safe (Float only).

FOrget the name of the one with IQ4 Technology (Ilco?)

Progressive Dynamics With Charge Wizard

These are the best of the best in my book.. 3Stage +

Most Inverter/Converters.. I'd give them about a 9.5 on a scale of 10. also very good.

NOW: failures
Any converter can fail in one of 3 ways.
Fail to go into boost (WFCOs most common failure mode)
Fail to charge at all (my PD did that)
Over charge. This last is rare but it does happen.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just maintaining things, your 20 amp hook up is fine. I use one myself but do have it on a timer so it just gets a squirt of electricity in each day.
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Florida our RV is our life boat during hurricanes, tornadoes, so it must be ready to go at all times. We always leave it plugged in and never had a problem. We have had to bug out and we have had to use the RV generator to supply power to our house freezer and refrigerator when without power for a few weeks after a storm passed. Our fresh water tank is always full and our fuel tank is always full, and we are always connected to shore power to insure that the batteries are fully charged. We also keep a trickle charger hooked up to keep the chassis batteries fully charged since our inverter/charger only keeps the house batteries topped off.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has been plugged in by my house for 12 years. So far, so good.

You need to check your batteries for water once a month or so.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine plugged in and the A/C on at a high level during summer to limit the interior temps and have heaters during winter to keep from having low temps(although this year never needed them). Also keep water in toilet to keep seal from drying out.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a home and a drive way, rather than an apartment, the coach was on power from Easter to Thanksgiving. Multi stage converter/charger so never had a problem with the batteries needing water.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have surge protection? What is the frequency of lightening in your area?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep mine plugged in. But suggest you open your purse and install an outlet for the amps your unit is designed for 30/50.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT