Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tie-down systems performance/safety vs cost
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie-down systems performance/safety vs cost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first camper we had happijacs they came with the camper, they worked fine, no problem connecting them and I felt safe with them. This camper has the Torklift, truck came with them so we have them. I don't feel any safer, the camper does not seem like moves any more or less than with the happyjacs. Honestly I could not tell the difference.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With an older truck, it should be easy with a little looking to find a used set of TorkLift. Or if you go new for a quicker solution, you should still be able to get about 1/2 your money back out if you take the time to pull them off before you sell the truck.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

MORSNOW

Eagle River, AK

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a similar truck as the OP, a 2012 GMC 2500 4x4 6.5' box. I've been using HappiJac tie down system for 8 years now. Don't believe the naysayers, the HappiJac system is frame mounted through the box up front and the rear bumper anchors also have a bolted on support from the frame. There is also a convenient load centering bar with centering bumpers to help keep your camper centered while loading and while hauling your camper. You can use the huge savings on Qwik Load or Fast Gun tie downs if you want. The Torklift front anchor points will block your fuel door and require you to loosen the front tie down every time you fuel up.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

The new Happijac's attach to the frame and are a fraction of the price of Torklift..More than enough for your camper...I have the old happijack that doesn't attach to the frame and a Lance 9.6 camper with a horse mat under it and don't have any issues in the backcountry on FS unmaintained roads and grades which is 99% of my TC use..

I am right at 4K loaded ready to camp for the TC..

Thanks for that insight. I will look closer.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I used these 3300-lb Harbor Freight Ratchet Straps to get my free 2002 Lance 811 home....but I don't feel comfortable recommending for highway travel [emoticon]

[image]

I'm planning to get a set of the Torklifts to be sure I'm secure going on the beach.

A camper isn’t going to break those load straps. And the flat deck is bolted to the frame.

I use Fastguns shorty model from camper to flatbed on my F350 and add chain to them to reach the frame Torklifts on my Dodge which still has a pickup box.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never needed Fast Guns because when removing the camper I leave everything attached to the camper and just pull the pin on all 4 TorkLifts and slide out the receivers and leave them hang. The jacks keep each receiver from turning into the wheels while they hang for loading or unloading. I use sailboat hardware turnbuckles because they have a 7,000 lb breaking strength. Only ones I could find that were rated.

Just another way of looking at it....

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both torklift and happijac mounting systems, they both do the job for me with a heavy camper. I agree that I did like not having the fuel door blocked with torklifts but that was easily fixed with fastguns. Now I have not rolled over my truck so I can't say how well either will do in that situation, but if I am at that point I figure I am SOL anyway. I do quite a bit of 4x4 in the sand and both systems have done a good job keeping the camper secured to the truck.

Btw, a member that upgraded trucks gave me his happijac system, I just had to pay shipping so keep an eye out for deals on EITHER system, best deal wins [emoticon]

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slymer wrote:

Wow,.....that is certainly ballsy. Never seen that one done before. Love the ingenuity though,...just to get it home. Well done.

I should have mentioned it was about 3 miles on local 30 mph roads...

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slymer wrote:

Wow,.....that is certainly ballsy. Never seen that one done before. Love the ingenuity though,...just to get it home. Well done.

Nah, not if you understand hauling TCs. Generally the tiedowns are there for the rough spots and steep hills and evasive maneuvers. Camper pretty much holds itslef in the bed on it's own during normal driving.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happijac rear bumper mounts s uck IMO, unless you have maybe a heavy aftermarket bumper or an old truck with a "real" bumper. Look around, many happijac bumper setups with tweaked bumpers. Even my old 86 Chevy pickup got one side tweaked by those.
If that doesn't bother you then they're cheap and effective at the expense of bending your bumper with relative certianty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie-down systems performance/safety vs cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.