Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tie-down systems performance/safety vs cost
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie-down systems performance/safety vs cost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I have had both torklift and happijac mounting systems, they both do the job for me with a heavy camper. I agree that I did like not having the fuel door blocked with torklifts but that was easily fixed with fastguns. Now I have not rolled over my truck so I can't say how well either will do in that situation, but if I am at that point I figure I am SOL anyway. I do quite a bit of 4x4 in the sand and both systems have done a good job keeping the camper secured to the truck.

Btw, a member that upgraded trucks gave me his happijac system, I just had to pay shipping so keep an eye out for deals on EITHER system, best deal wins [emoticon]

Is there a member sale/trade section on the forum?

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

Is there a member sale/trade section on the forum?

Not on RV.NET.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my $0.02, I've had the same set of HJ tiedowns (with frame mount) for over 20 years, and on 3 different trucks. They are presently used on a 4,500lb S&S with HJ's quick-loads that has gone over 50K miles over the past 12 years (not fully retired yet), with absolutely no issues. They have also been used on a 5,500lb AF 1140 for years.....without issues. For what it's worth don't buy into the "your going to kill yourself, unless you use TL stuff". Both systems WHEN USED PROPERLY will work just fine. The biggest problem with people using the HJ's is that they don't use them correctly and make them WAY TO TIGHT, making them bend or break things.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Slymer wrote:

Wow,.....that is certainly ballsy. Never seen that one done before. Love the ingenuity though,...just to get it home. Well done.

I should have mentioned it was about 3 miles on local 30 mph roads...

Aesthetics aside , those ratchet straps are probably stronger than the tiedown attaching points on most TC's

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the goal when wanting to keep your camper secure?

Keep the camper from sliding back.

Keep the camper from bouncing and shifting.

Keep as little load on the camper tie down points as not to damage the camper.

Happijack's do all 3.

Fast guns do not keep the camper from shifting backwards
Fast guns if not set up properly have damaged campers.

Question to all...

When on a road with ruts etc does the frame twist and if so what happens with Fast Guns hard contact because they are attached to the frame?

Happijacks are attached to the bed in the front and are at an angle so they hold the camper forward with very little hold down force. The rears are attached to the bumper which is flexible and are set up to have very little down force.

Been using the same Happijack takedowns for 20 years and driven over some hellacious roads.
Camper weights 4200lbs... Never had 1 problem with the camper shifting.. Over 200,000 miles on the camper 2 F250's.

Would I use Fast Guns? Probably not.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happi jacs work but look at the red trucks bumper. It's bent. If that's ok with you then happijacs are fine.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

Fast guns do not keep the camper from shifting backwards
Fast guns if not set up properly have damaged campers.

Question to all...

When on a road with ruts etc does the frame twist and if so what happens with Fast Guns hard contact because they are attached to the frame?

Happijacks are attached to the bed in the front and are at an angle so they hold the camper forward with very little hold down force. The rears are attached to the bumper which is flexible and are set up to have very little down force.

Been using the same Happijack takedowns for 20 years and driven over some hellacious roads.
Camper weights 4200lbs... Never had 1 problem with the camper shifting.. Over 200,000 miles on the camper 2 F250's.

Would I use Fast Guns? Probably not.

Jim

Any turnbuckle if setup incorrectly can damage a camper.

Keep in mind there are two different systems in play here. The attachment points and the turnbuckles.

On my old 1997 truck I had both Happyjack attachment points (front of bed and bumper) and turnbuckles. I believe that the turnbuckles had springs in the chrome tubes.

Fast forward to 2018 and a new 2017 Ford with aluminum bed/body. The choice here was to use frame mounted attachment points. Since my old turnbuckles were the incorrect length, I got Torqlift springed turnbuckles to go with the Torqlift frame mount attachment points.

In my mind the key is to have something with a spring and when installed have the spring tensioned properly so that the "eyelet" on your camper is not torn out.

While it is debatable how much each of the big threes (GM, Dodge, Ford) frames flex, I would not trust any of the metal work (much less Ford) to secure a turnbuckle tied to a camper.

- Mark0.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if you are on facebook but I see a lot of used Torklift products for sale there. example https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/249391149485199/

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Not sure if you are on facebook but I see a lot of used Torklift products for sale there. example https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/249391149485199/

I am and I am watching. Thanks for the link as well.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

The new Happijac's attach to the frame and are a fraction of the price of Torklift..More than enough for your camper...

A good friend of mine was a Lance dist for 35+ years.
I ended up buying Happijac tie downs due to his recommendation.
Mine attach to the frame.
They have worked just fine for me and my 4000 lb camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tie-down systems performance/safety vs cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.