cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New a/c unit problem

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
So we decided to replace the a/c on our TT last week. The 23 year old unit was done.
I ordered a new Coleman 13.5k btu rooftop unit. Got it up on the roof with the help of my son and lined it up over the opening and thought all was good.
When I go inside I find that the old mounting bolts are 3/8 inch x 9 inches. The new a/c unit uses 1/4 inch bolts. Nobody in town carries 1/4 x 9 inch bolts. Who knew.
Also the holes in the plenum are spaced 9" apart and the new unit has holes spaced 12.5" apart, what a crock.
It took me a while to find some 1/4" threaded rod to make bolts of my own and add some flat stock steel to the plenum with holes drilled to the proper spacing.
I looked at several places online that had mounting bolts but none of them specified whether they were 3/8 of 1/4 inch.
Finally got it all done and it now works beautifully and much quieter.
Just say no to the payload police :C
5 REPLIES 5

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have been DIY forever, as time goes on it seems when repair/replacing something the old part B does not fit with the new part A. It is to the point it must be intentional. I feel sorry for people who cannot work around things and wonder what they do.

Congratulations, you beat the system!

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
In military terms, โ€œImprovise, adapt and overcomeโ€ comes to mind - Good Job Sir!!

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
It might have been easier to buy a new inside ceiling assembly to go with the new upper unit. I love new stuff to spruce up my rig.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bad situation handled very well!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you got 'er done.. Was goign to make a suggestion regarding the bolts.. but you thought of it (Good job)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times