Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Border closure extended
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Border closure extended

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

Reisender wrote:

gmckenzie wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

We have decided to just travel-in-province. We'll take the month of October and wander BC. I would guess too, that we won't be going south this coming winter.

I wonder what Winnipeg is like.in January and February, from the inside of an RV. Lots of tourist highlights I bet, and no crowds. No bugs, either.
Gary

Inside the RV it's nice outside the RV dam cold. [emoticon]

Inside the rv the heater is running 24/7 just to keep the tanks from freezing....

Dam cold doesn't cover the outside

Born and raised there and loving winters in the Okanagan now [emoticon]

Which part of the valley.

Kelowna. Much warmer than Winnipeg in the winter and way less bugs in the summer. Plus I'm not even retired yet (unlike 80% of the people living here)

Sounds like you, Gary and I have the Valley covered. We are in Vernon. We are in Kelowna often though.

With all of the spare time we have had our coach has never been in better shape. Replaced a few tiles that had cracked over the last 17 years. Probably a dozen other things that we put off as we were always working when we were in Canada. Now it’s all ready to go south and....guess we’ll have to wait and see. Covid numbers are climbing in the US again. Thinking that our fifty fifty chances of going south are warning.

Two things have to happen before travel insurance companies we’ll issue a policy inclusive of Covid.

1. Border restrictions removed.

2. Travel advisory removed.

The two might happen at the same time. Ojala. Spanish for “Let’s freakin hope so”. [emoticon]

Crazy4silvers

Fairbanks

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I just drove home last week from Idaho to Fairbanks thru Alberta, BC and Yukon. It was very strange as after we got to Whitecourt, AB it seemed like a ghost highway and the further north we got it only got worse. Businesses closed or hanging on by a thread. Traffic was probably half what we normally see in February coming south from Fairbanks. We have done this trip for years.

I don't know the answer but hope we all make it.
Rick

2012 Airstream Eddie Bauer
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7L

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy4silvers wrote:

My wife and I just drove home last week from Idaho to Fairbanks thru Alberta, BC and Yukon. It was very strange as after we got to Whitecourt, AB it seemed like a ghost highway and the further north we got it only got worse. Businesses closed or hanging on by a thread. Traffic was probably half what we normally see in February coming south from Fairbanks. We have done this trip for years.

Rick

Heard from friends in the Yukon who recently did the Cassiar route. Dead slow. However. BC is probably entering phase 3 next week which will free up provincial travel. The BC goverment has some funds earmarked for B.C. tourism which should help. We are planning a few days in Barkerville once the health minister blesses it. Hoping to introduce the bed and breakfast we are staying at to the idea of the installation of a Tesla destination charger. They are kind of off the beaten track a bit.

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got an e mail from Parks Canada. Our reservations at Fundy NP and Cape Breton NP have been canceled.

I spent a lot o time planning a 3 week trip. Going to save it for possibly next year. Dam

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy4silvers wrote:

Rick

I have to ask; how were the border crossings?

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 06/21/20 09:55pm by Gulfcoast *

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806, when Trudeau called Canada's citizens home, I think, back in March, so many of them (including some of my good friends) immediately packed up here in the US and Mexico and headed home to Canada just under Trudeau's first 14-day quarantine. About the same time, the US closed the borders into the US from Mexico for non-essential foreign nationals except for Canadians and asked the question, "Are you on your way home?" Of course, they said yes, but it seems that so many did not go home as per Canadians on Facebook and their forums and as per a 100-mile trip I recently made up to the Myrtle Beach, SC area. There were Quebec license plates all over the place; had a friendly conversation with one full-time RVer, and he decided to store his RV in North Myrtle Beach and rent a houseboat and float up and down the Santee River for a while. My point is if you had joined the Canadians on their way north before the Canadian lockdown, you could have enjoyed boondocking around Canada (and possibly with your Parks Canada card; I enjoy using mine). Kind of wished I had done that this year; I can tell the Canadians who came up from Mexico are really enjoying themselves and have packed in cases of beer for their rented houseboat.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See'ing that there is some talk now about extending the closure to end of the year. So far...just scuttlebutt, but....

Gary

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

See'ing that there is some talk now about extending the closure to end of the year. So far...just scuttlebutt, but....

Gary

Wow Gary. Had not heard that. Let’s hope it just stays as scuttle butt.

Crazy4silvers

Fairbanks

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

Crazy4silvers wrote:

Rick

I have to ask; how were the border crossings?

Crossing was uneventful, usual questions and asked about covid symptoms. Additional stop after customs booths for health folks to take our temperatures and explain isolating rules while in Canada.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Border closure extended
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.