cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer legs

Powts
Explorer
Explorer
Came across these the other day and curious to know if anyone has them, uses them etc. Seem like a great product. I'm most interested in knowing if you can use these while actively using the trailer to camp in. Some comments lead me to believe yes but wondering how you chock the tires just to be safe. Seems like a combo of these with stabilizers down and tongue jack level on level ground would be very solid.

Here's the product if you haven't seen it - www.trailerlegs.com

I've got a tandem axle so I'd need 4 all around.

Thanks for any insights or feedback!
17 REPLIES 17

Powts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Seems there are some strong feelings against using these and after reading through them all, my opinion has changed so will forego. I agree with many of the comments about anything other than a solid cement or concrete surface - hadn't considered that. Appreciate the help!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You can replace your tires for about the same amount. These look like a way bigger hassle than they are worth.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GrandpaKip wrote:
Looks like a product in search of a problem.

Ditto, plus a good possibility of bending an axle.

And HOLY COW, they are expensive. I'd spend that money on a backup camera before buying those "jackstands". Camera would be far more useful, because it's something I'd use every time I was towing.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
$160 for about a nickels worth of plastic? That's insane.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
i can see me chucking these 3 sites over with a string of profanity
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The rv industry has developed an impressive collection of useless gadgets and junk that apparently many people feel the need to have or use.
Never seen these contraptions before, but they're near the top of the cheezy junk list for sure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
The number one problem is these devices do not account for an un-level camp site. I can't imagine adding spacers underneath these things to insure its level. I would use these at home as I have a level concrete pad, but beyond that they are not a good option for camping unless you know 100% for sure you don’t need to level your trailer side to side.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Go and get 4 good jack stands or 6 if your trailer is longer than 20 feet. Make sure you have some sort of pad under the jacks so they don't sink. lower the front, install rear stands, then raise the front just past level and install the front ones. If you need middle ones, get the type that have the screw option to get them to the right height. Now you are about as level and super sturdy. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Olympian-Aluminum-Jack-Stand-4-per-Box-44560/205518964

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Isn't this the same as placing a jack on the axle tube which is exactly what they say you're not supposed to do?

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Might work when changing a tire too. OR the big problem, two flats at the same time and on the same side.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a product in search of a problem.
I can see no benefit to these at all.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

I don't understand the concept?

You are ONLY removing the tire flex from the equation... You still have the buggy spring flex that will be there ???

Not to mention a few other possible downfalls - bent springs... MUCH higher trailer and steps..prolonged camp set up just to start naming a few...

This MAY be a remedy for someone storing for a long period, possibly over several winter months???
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like an exercise in frustration when setting up. I can only imagine - first the stress in backing in to the site, then trying to get these legs all lined up, level and not toppling over. My marriage says 'no thanks'!
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two big concerns I see right off the bat:
- I don't see them offering much stabilization if they still leave the springs in play.
- Modern RVs tend to be high off the ground to begin with and corner stabilizers work best the shorter they are. Take the trailer up an extra 6inches and they will work worse...plus do you need an extra step added?

Also, can't see them working on anything but a perfectly level pad. On a muddy or grass site, I see them just sinking in.

A much simpler solution is a 6 point system and I've seen the manual crank down stabilizers mounted adjacent to the axles, so you don't need the fancy automatic systems. (I've even used the aluminum jack stands snugged up to the frame when we aren't moving for a while and it helps a lot)...but this bypasses the entire suspension.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV