Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Pumping from the lake.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pumping from the lake.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lake water is the least desirable fresh water and I wouldn’t introduce it into my fresh water system without careful filtering and sanitization.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Similar pumps are often used on fishing docks to provide running water to fish cleaning stations by suspending them in the water. The 1/3 hp pump says it has a maximimum head of 33.5 ft, so i would think it would work since you are lifting the water only 20 ft

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that you know that lake water is not really "clean." I would never use lake water to wash dishes unless it is sanitized somehow. Either boil, run it through a microb filter, or use bleach. Try sitting a 5 gallon bucket of lake water in a nice shady spot for a couple of days and then smell it, you may change your mind. Remember that a lake is is the outhouse for fish, animals, birds, and humans.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I live the lake fish are all on birth control due to the ladies at the beach relieving themselves in the water. There is a number of pollutants in that water, and people often get sick after swimming, ear infections are common. Some of the residue will not disappear on dried dishes, it will just be dry and you will eat it. gross.
There are filters that will clean it, but they are slow-drip and will be expensive for washing dishes.
20 feet elevation gain will be slow but doable with the right pump. The distance is not going to matter as much.

If this is for a semi-permanent location, or your own property then you can make a filter with a 55 gallon drum, sand, rocks and other things. Do an internet search and it will be easy to find. This could provide water at a fast enough rate. I would spare your RV tank and get an external holding tank if possible, but thats up to u.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

I hope that you know that lake water is not really "clean." I would never use lake water to wash dishes unless it is sanitized somehow. Either boil, run it through a microb filter, or use bleach.

Standard practice for scouts, missionaries in many developing countries, etc. where the water supply is of questionable or poor quality is to wash dishes in whatever water is available but rinse in boiling hot water. Tongs and mesh bags help a lot with the rinsing assuming you aren't keen on scalded fingers.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

would definitely use a jet pump that way you could have water on demand and forego the use of your tank. Lake water is not chlorinated so it will go skunky in your tank within a few days in the heat of summer.

OP Here

I do plan to pour some bleach in the tank when I fill it and it will be drained each winter.

As far as the idea of keeping it off the bottom, I know I need to. The bottom is muddy and I'd rather not suck the mud in.

Power will be supplied by a generator.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://powerequipment.honda.com/pumps/models/wx10

$330US at Lowe's

The 5gal bucket w rocks and strainer tied on is an easy way to keep the strainer off the mud no matter which pump you choose.

There are other similar pumps for a few $$ less than Honda.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

https://powerequipment.honda.com/pumps/models/wx10

$330US at Lowe's

The 5gal bucket w rocks and strainer tied on is an easy way to keep the strainer off the mud no matter which pump you choose.

There are other similar pumps for a few $$ less than Honda.

Why would I go gas when I already am running a generator that can easily take the load. The tank would last all season.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t over-think it, get a $uo sump pump from CDN Tire / Home Hardware Princess Auto. Put a rock or concrete block on the bottom with a rope tied to it, empty bleach or laundry detergent bottle as a float, pump hanging just below the float. Garden hose for the output.

Easy peasy, citronella squeezey. (Citronella to keep the skeeters away.)

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Don’t over-think it, get a $uo sump pump from CDN Tire / Home Hardware Princess Auto. Put a rock or concrete block on the bottom with a rope tied to it, empty bleach or laundry detergent bottle as a float, pump hanging just below the float. Garden hose for the output.

Easy peasy, citronella squeezey. (Citronella to keep the skeeters away.)

That's the plan..... Just don't want to buy it all and find out it won't work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pumping from the lake.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.