Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kebler Pass CO

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
aka Gunnison County Road 12

30 mi unpaved between CO133 on the west and Crested Butte on the east.

Thinking of using it in August. 2500HD Duramax pulling a 25' TT.

I am quite used to driving mountain roads and unpaved roads. Just wondering if this is a bad idea towing a trailer.

Anyone done it? Descriptions say it's smooth and passable for passenger cars. Not going there if it's 30 mi of washboard.

Thanks in advance!
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D
8 REPLIES 8

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
teejay -- a wild guess -- is that Marcellina Mountain?? Very distinctive formation -- a big blob of lava that welled up and bent the overlying layers into an arch.

Not sure, but looking at the map it seems very likely.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
teejay -- a wild guess -- is that Marcellina Mountain?? Very distinctive formation -- a big blob of lava that welled up and bent the overlying layers into an arch.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Follow-up:

We did end up using the Kebler Pass road on our recent Colorado trip to traverse from Hwy 133 to Crested Butte. Road was very well maintained gravel, we averaged 30-35 mph. Very scenic!

The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
One good reason to use Kebler Pass (aside from the scenery) is that it connects Aspen to Crested Butte, without having to go down to Montrose and back up through Gunnison. I'm not sure it saves any time, but why not take the scenic route? ๐Ÿ˜‰

And Baraboo Bob, you need to build in a lot of time for photos, that's for sure. This photo was taken not far from the pass:

Click For Full-Size Image.

If you'd like to see some more pix of the Crested Butte area, here's a blog link:

Fall color
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't need to look at Google Anything. We have been there.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some people live for a little adventure and like to take roads like that. I am one of them and this looks like an interesting place to visit. Looking at Google Earth, I am pretty sure that we will be taking that road next summer. I will probably need about a full day just to get through due to stopping to set up for photographs.

I was just looking at my plans for next summer and this is a definite will do.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why you would want to do that, but I would call the Visitor's Bureau in Crusty Butt and ask if anyone had been over it recently and ask them to give you a call.

Last time we were in CB we came out over Ohio (without the trailer) and it was in sad shape. Deep snow in June that year.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I drove it was 3-4 years ago and it was good gravel with minor parts of washboard. Depends on what the winter was like.