cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fluxuating oil pressure gage

batman69
Explorer
Explorer
Turn on key to start engine. Oil pressure gage bounces from 20 to 40 and back....alarm comes on and chk eng light comes on....can start engine and runs fine......disconnected oil sending unit. Same symptoms.. 2003 Dutch Star...Cummins 350 ISC on Spartan Mountain Master Chassis.....ordered new gage thought was only thing left....plugged in new gage same story.....am hearing eng may have 2 sensors for the oil....can't find but 1.....Called Spartan. They said had heard of such a thing....Talked to Cummins said on had 1 oil sensor listed....Help and Thanks.....
11 REPLIES 11

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Can you clarify if the gauge fluctuates with key on engine off? And key on engine on?

The fact that it fluctuates with sender disconnected has me checking the ground on the gauge. Run a new ground wire to a chassis point and see if that changes the behavior.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Robbie_Welch
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem. Gauge started acting up. I replaced the sender and couldn't get the gauge to read correctly (not the correct sender for the gauge). I couldn't get a matching gauge for the sender during the pandemic so I replaced it with a mechanical gauge located in the engine compartment and mounted the backup camera to view it. Works awesome. I may leave it that way even after I get the electrical gauge back in.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I would do is "T" in a mechanical gauge and mount it somewhere in the engine bay to confirm problem is not the engine.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look into a Silverleaf monitor... probably less than taking it in.

Silverleaf
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

batman69
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Haste Maker... looks like getting there with everyones help..Have a great day...

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be best to take it to a Cummins shop, some of their engines use a oil pressure relief value that is inside the engine & they will know how to check it.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

batman69
Explorer
Explorer
Sending unit disconnected...same symptoms ..thanks

batman69
Explorer
Explorer
Rgr on trip to shop....trying to avoid but....seems to be in my future....thanks

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Could be defective sending unit

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s what gauges are for...a warning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A fluctuating gauge may need a trip to the shop.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman