Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: long term non-use/storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> long term non-use/storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ONLY thing bad about a sitting gas vehicle is the gas. Siphon it out....Give it away to some guy with a gas guzzler. Cars sit on ships for months, then on lots for months. Then we buy them. The lot boy adds fresh fuel. Nothing else is done to them.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve,

You are in boat country. Barrow a battery to start it and then find someone (they are all over around here (down river) that knows how to "fog" an engine for storage. We do this all the time around here. Worst that happens with a vehicle is that the O2 sensor (~20$) will die because they don't have much sense of humor when it comes to oil.
Block it up to get the weight of the tires and if it is over soil, spread a poly sheet under it so the condensation doesn't rot the frame.
For one year, start with the tank full and stabilizer in it. If it gets on to three years, you will want to dump that fuel. No lead lasts better than the old fuel did because the TEL doesn't age out and the alcohol absorbs the moisture.
Do that, and she will wait for you.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't be too much to have someone drive it around a bit, run the gen, shake the fluids and tires. I'm sure there's some folks around happy to check in and help while you recover- don't be shy, this is the time. Take it easy on both of you, and here's to many more trips soon

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs- 45 states, 9 provinces
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Mich upnorth

Niles, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a class B, if you can drive, insure it and drive it for your running around once or twice a month. You can fit a lot of groceries in it . Sitting that long the brakes will rust up and brake and fuel lines will rust through. You do live in the rust belt.
Bob

Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I could insure it for over $1,000 a year, wasted. When I get out of the hospital in 2-3 weeks I will not be allowed to leave my house for 3 months, and then with separation as I will have no immune system for over a year.

I may get a company to deliver and install the starter battery. Then I could start it in the driveway and maybe circle the block carefully without insurance. That would not be legal, but it should be safe. I know that would not get the rpms up very high, but it would be better than nothing.

Yes I'm in the rust belt, but I've stored it iin my drive during every winter for 20 years. I do not drive it in the snow and salt. And it's in excellent condition.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

I may get a company to deliver and install the starter battery. Then I could start it in the driveway and maybe circle the block carefully without insurance. That would not be legal, but it should be safe.

so you are not spending $1000 for insurance (or less) and opening yourself to a law suit where you lose everything?
bumpy

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michigan has the highest insurance cost in the country. They made some changes which would affect me in August, but still costly.

Bumpy, I would only be driving around 1 residential circle block. Yes there is a risk, but not much driving by only about 40 houses. Otherwise I would just run it in the drive way.

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE:
I got the starter battery replaced and started it. The engine just purrs. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes.

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little different situation, but you may find some nuggets you can use: When we head for Texas each fall I put Stabil in our Durango and run it for awhile to get the treated fuel throughout the system. Then I connect a battery maintaner to the battery and leave it for 6-7 months. Now, it is garaged, and it's for a shorter term than you're intending, but I believe the packaging on Stabil indicates it's good for a year. Iowa allows me to remove the insurance with no penalty and I remove all but comprehensive coverage. At least then it's covered if a tree falls on the garage. I've been doing this with the same vehicle for the past 9 winters and it's always fired right up when we return in the spring. Hope this helps.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8ntw8tn wrote:

A little different situation, but you may find some nuggets you can use: When we head for Texas each fall I put Stabil in our Durango and run it for awhile to get the treated fuel throughout the system. Then I connect a battery maintaner to the battery and leave it for 6-7 months. Now, it is garaged, and it's for a shorter term than you're intending, but I believe the packaging on Stabil indicates it's good for a year. Iowa allows me to remove the insurance with no penalty and I remove all but comprehensive coverage. At least then it's covered if a tree falls on the garage. I've been doing this with the same vehicle for the past 9 winters and it's always fired right up when we return in the spring. Hope this helps.

That sounds exactly like what I've been doing for 20 years. This time it'll be a little longer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> long term non-use/storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.