cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Monitor System

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very good digital tire pressure gauge calibrated to within 2% accuracy. This morning before we left I had 78.8 psi on one front, and 79.1 psi on the other. However, my Tire monitoring system, "Tire Tracker" showed 83 on one and 89 on the other. In addition, it said the temperature of the first tire was 90 degrees, yet it had been sitting all night in 75 degrees temperatures. So my conclusion is the "Tire Tracker" is a POS system. One other fact, is it looses contact with at least one sensor each trip it seems.

So who makes a good solid system? Thoughts anyone?

Al
10 REPLIES 10

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Update - new batteries, drop out issue went away....now if I could just find my amplifier/extender.....sigh....

Al

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have tire valve extenders on your rear duels, the temperature may not be very accurate. Changing batteries is not that difficult but be careful that you do not strip out the tiny screws.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
My TPMS specified accuracy/repeatability is +/- 3 percent, which is a rather wide range. It's not to be used as a tire guage but as an alarm for rapidly decreasing pressure or increasing heat. When starting out in the morning I glance at it to be sure pressures are in the ballpark.
-jbh-

Ole_B
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind when using the TST 507 The batteries should be at least 3 volts. New batteries are 3.34 volts. I have had-sensors drop at 3 volts.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I also have the TST system. My regular gauge is off by 2-3 psi so I cant say anything about the TST sensors. A good digital gauge is on my list. with that said the sensors are all reading the same numbers with no variance. Also, are you using a repeater? when I first got mnine I tried it out and didnt get to install the repeater. it would always drop a couple of rear tires. after I wired in the repeater it no longer drops any sensor, even on the toad! I would also replace the batteries. Ill be doing that next spring.

I did not wire in the repeater. Probably need to do that....assuming I can find it. :h I do recall it coming with the unit.

Al

Yes that will more than likely fix your sensor dropping issue.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I also have the TST system. My regular gauge is off by 2-3 psi so I cant say anything about the TST sensors. A good digital gauge is on my list. with that said the sensors are all reading the same numbers with no variance. Also, are you using a repeater? when I first got mnine I tried it out and didnt get to install the repeater. it would always drop a couple of rear tires. after I wired in the repeater it no longer drops any sensor, even on the toad! I would also replace the batteries. Ill be doing that next spring.

I did not wire in the repeater. Probably need to do that....assuming I can find it. :h I do recall it coming with the unit.

Al

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Like Dale, our TST-507 sensors read within ยฑ1-2 psi of my gauge readings. I replace the 10 batteries once a year for less than $10.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Before throwing out what you have if possible check the tire sensor battery volts. Low power may cause inaccurate data and communications drop outs.

If your determined to replace the system I've had a TST Model 507 for the past 8 years and it's been pretty reliable. Cold pressures are normally the same as my hand held gauge but I have seen some deviation from time to time. Not more than about 2 psi which is close enough for my use. Any sensor drops have been low battery volts which is a five minute fix.

Yeah, probably a good idea. Batteries are about a year old. For 6 it's less than $20 so maybe I'll do that first.

Al

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before throwing out what you have if possible check the tire sensor battery volts. Low power may cause inaccurate data and communications drop outs.

If your determined to replace the system I've had a TST Model 507 for the past 8 years and it's been pretty reliable. Cold pressures are normally the same as my hand held gauge but I have seen some deviation from time to time. Not more than about 2 psi which is close enough for my use. Any sensor drops have been low battery volts which is a five minute fix.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53