cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to I Set up my Portable Solar Panel

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
My 2019 Forest River Forester 3011DS came with a Solar Ready outlet. I am buying a portable solar panel. Do I just plug it in or is there more to it?
8 REPLIES 8

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure I have the same outlet on my trailer...I found this plug that fits it. You might be able to use this with whatever panel you decide to use.
Amazon link
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying a portable solar panel. Do I just plug it in or is there more to it?

Look at buying a solar charging kit or suitcase solar charging kit. It will come with a controller already attached and 10 feet or so of wire. You may have to adapt the solar wire connector to be compatible with plugging in to your trailer solar receptacle.....
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
A portable solar kit will have wires from it with battery clamps, so ignore the OEM connection point and just clamp on to your house batteries--assumed to be accessible from outside the RV.

If you make your own portable set, same thing. A trailer can use an adapter to the 7-pin to reach the batteries too, but a Class C doesn't have that of course.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Built in controllers are usually for crummy little solar systems. Figure out your system, cables, controller and fuses before you plug anything in.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
LarryDel wrote:
Solar Ready outlet. I am buying a portable solar panel. Do I just plug it in or is there more to it?

if the brand of plug is different from the panel kit it would be best to determine the polarity of the kit and plug to determine they are the same. Zamp solar ready likely be backward from others! rewire it or get the adapter but check the polarity

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Set up in the morning, move it with the sun, watch for theft, take it in to go to town, return, set up again, move with sun, watch for theft and take down. Repeat next day.

Put the panels on the roof!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
With portable you should be able to just plug it in.
Portable solar usually has a controller built in.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
There's more to it. I would surmise that's nothing more than a connection for wires that run to where your batteries are. You'll need a controller.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman