cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diverticulitis

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I have been diagnosed with Diverticulitis early stages in one region of my bowels I have Diverticulosis in the rest of the digestive tact.
I have sever pain and mostly burning in rectum and ***** and area between it.
They said at the ER on Monday and in Urology today that the Diverticulitis is why.
Tow antibiotics Amoxicllian and another one that starts with an M. That one is dangerous they said and alcohol has to be avoided and some other things or there could be even deadly.
I have Oxycontin for pain in my back and now this too. I do not want to get hooked on it but the pain is really bad
The antibiotics course will end the 26th.
Is there anyone here who can offer advice and how this condtion goes and how to live with it and if anything can be done about it.
I have not seen a GI Doctor yet and it takes an appointment down the road.
13 REPLIES 13

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are now colitis free. i won't see my GI Doctor until August 20 something.
Doctors ahve noy been seeing many patients because of this Covid thing.
On the tenth they did the Colononsotomy and removed the rest of the polyp said ti was precancerous but begin? Asked about the Diverticulitis and they didn't see anything but it shows up better on a ctscan.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Good news! Congratulations.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on a special diet for five years for a rare form of colitis. Per the colonoscopy last month, I am now colitis free. Dr says the diet worked. The good news is that the diet is actually promoted as being effective for both diverticulitis and diverticulosis.

I am not selling anything, just trying to help PM me if you want details.

BTW, my wife has a few diverticulitukosis spots and has no symptoms anymore since using the same diet.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out Divertiukitis is perhaps one of the lesser worries. I have some arterial blockages somewhere n my hips or legs according to Drs yesterday. Will get a call Monday on when to see Dr and what to do.
Gt a radio ablation n nerves from buldging disc toward the left though. And my back and side are at ease. Burning in rectum and urinary tract is another story.
I'm going to try to get out tomorroow and ignore the burning and get some walking in,So a GI and a Ciruclatory(can't remember proper title) Surgon next week.
I hope everyone has a some furn in my place.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
Just Google the diagnosis and ONLY trust web sites like WebMD, Johns- Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, etc. for your findings.

Add Medlineplus.gov - Diverticulosis/Diverticulitis to the above list. Clear, understandable, have passed the quality checks of the National Library of Medicine. Everything from basic to referrals to experts and more technical material. No advertising.

Medlineplus.gov also has a section on drugs and supplements. Read the materials supplied by your pharmacist and also read what you find here. https://medlineplus.gov/druginformation.html
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely agree with a change in diet AND seeing a GI Doctor. Diet can cure the worst cases, I know. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's with a failing Thyroid and high antibodies in it. My Thyroid doctor advised me to go on an anti-inflammatory diet and I did. My thyroid stabilized and I lost over 20 lbs. I'm much happier and feel so much better.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having had what my Dr thought was Diverticulitis I went thru a few rounds of stuff,finally got to see a real GI Dr.

I was surprised that he said to start with no drugs but to first try over the counter things first and see if it helped and if not he would get more into it,he also gave me a handout on foods to avoid and ones that were ok.

First off he gave some samples of IB Gard and also to use Citrucel once a day,it is a good fiber source with no gas.

I started with 2 tabs of IBgard 30 min before each meal.Within a week almost symptoms were gone,returned to Dr then went to just 2 tabs before supper and have been good since then.

I am not a Dr but as you asked for any advice that may help,you might ask your GI Dr about this,all I can say it worked for me,good luck.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps try medical marijuana. You can take gel caps. I agree on losing the Oxys.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
flush the oxy

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bad case of it a few years ago and a few flare ups since. As mentioned, change in diet is your best long term solution. I lost 25 lbs after the first incident and I think that was a big factor in not having reoccurrences. I donโ€™t avoid any specific foods but mostly cutting out carbs (reducing but not eliminating) seems to help for me.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My Dad lived and RV'd all his life with diverticulitis. Once you get healed, you should be able to be asymptomatic with proper diet. But if I were you, I would find a good GI doctor and have him/her treat your illness. My dad did not have to take anything for infection or pain after he was healed and if he stayed away from his triggers. Much like any other chronic illness.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Google "Low Fodmap Diet Chart" and see what you can eat. About the same as IBS diet. Diet helps and reduces flareups.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Just Google the diagnosis and ONLY trust web sites like WebMD, Johns- Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, etc. for your findings.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad