Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding external LED's and awning LED's

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all,

So our camper came with an LED strip along the camper side under the awning as well as a typical orange porch light. Both of these work well but are directly over the door and attract an insane amount of bugs. I see others where the LED strip is at the end of the awning instead and I guess it rolls up with the awning. Any ideas on how to install these where they will stay and not ruin the awning? What about under the chassis? We currently have an orange light that shines through the steps. I'd like to add a strip under the camper that is weather proof. I see some on Amazon that say they ship with 3M strips but will that really hold on the outside? And where would I grab AC or DC power?
Any other thoughts on LED strips?

And to be clear, I'm not trying to turn the camper into a dance club. Just trying to move the existing strip on the awning and possibly add some ground effect type lights that can be dimmed.

Thanks all!
11 REPLIES 11

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
kfp673 wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
I bought some of the Amazon cheapy ones to go on the side of the camper under the awning, and the adhesive lasted about 5 hours on the road. I did notice some medium priced ones advertised with 3M adhesive. I wish I'd paid the extra for them.

Good to know. What did you do? Buy some 3m adhesive or replace the strip?

They got mangled on the road, and I have not gotten around to replacing them. The next ones will pony up for the 3M adhesive.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
wowens79 wrote:
I bought some of the Amazon cheapy ones to go on the side of the camper under the awning, and the adhesive lasted about 5 hours on the road. I did notice some medium priced ones advertised with 3M adhesive. I wish I'd paid the extra for them.

Good to know. What did you do? Buy some 3m adhesive or replace the strip?

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Bumping this back up for LED strip light recommendations. They are all over Amazon and other sites, and I see ranges from $15 to $80+ for a similar size strip. Anyone buy a strip for exterior use such as under the camper, outdoor kitchen, etc and have good luck with it? Did it come with quality adhesive? Boogey lights seems to advertise to the RV community but super expensive. Same questions for interior as well. Thanks!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all. Any suggestions of outdoor multi color LED's that have held up nicely for you? Getting ready to order some and there are 100 options on Amazon. Amazon has a range of $15-$100 and then camping world and a few other RV specific products are $200+ Is there really that much difference?? Thanks again!

kfp673 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
If you want to add the LED on your awning roller, it will be very hard if your NOT wired for them already ....I am sure there are some on here that may have figured a way to RIG the wiring to work..

I added a strip under the frame of my last fiver and it worked great !

This is exactly my concern. How the awning rolls up without destroying wiring. Anyone know how they do it from factory? I really dont mind the way I have it with the lights on the side of the camper with regards to lighting the site, but I would say 10-20 bugs fly in every time the door opens. And with 3 kids the total bug count in the camper on a summer evening becomes something like 9 figures ๐Ÿ˜‰

For those that said you added them under your camper, did you just use the sticky tape they came with or some other way to fasten them? I'd hate for them to come off while traveling and tangle in the wheels. Thanks!

My lights are recessed in a track in the awning.. the wires drop into a 1/4" sized hole in the roller tube, then travel up the inside of the awning rail.. At the top of the rail, they enter into a hole in the side of the camper..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
If you want to add the LED on your awning roller, it will be very hard if your NOT wired for them already ....I am sure there are some on here that may have figured a way to RIG the wiring to work..

This is exactly my concern. How the awning rolls up without destroying wiring. Anyone know how they do it from factory? I really dont mind the way I have it with the lights on the side of the camper with regards to lighting the site, but I would say 10-20 bugs fly in every time the door opens. And with 3 kids the total bug count in the camper on a summer evening becomes something like 9 figures ๐Ÿ˜‰

For those that said you added them under your camper, did you just use the sticky tape they came with or some other way to fasten them? I'd hate for them to come off while traveling and tangle in the wheels. Thanks!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rigging a LED line so that it does not shine all over the CG is not easy.

My method is kind of bush but very effective at keeping the light at my site only. Good old cheap string of Christmas rope lights. Tie one end at end of awning arm with lights up close behind the roller & surrey hanging down & tie the other end to the other arm running the power line along the awning arm.

It takes a little time & some knot tying skills but works very nicely.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too put lights underneath, I used LED license plate lights, they were cheap and are designed to live outside.

They give enough light to see around the patio and to get to / from the door but donโ€™t attract a lot of bugs or make you feel like youโ€™re sitting in a fish bowl.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put the led lights under my MH just make sure you get the waterproof ones. Got the cheap ones from china that you can change colors etc. and make it a dance club if you wanted. Been on for years and still going strong.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH